Students give plasma to get cash

Kelly Becker

As the gift-giving season pressures students to spend their money, some may find themselves looking for alternate methods of acquiring additional funds.

One popular way to make some extra cash is by donating plasma.

Community BioResources, 1618 Golden Aspen Drive, opened in Ames in March and has had steady business since then, said Sandy Walter, manager of Community BioResources.

She said the entire donation process includes answering necessary questions and giving plasma and takes about 90 minutes.

“Students can only donate twice in a seven-day period,” Walter said. “Tuesdays are the most popular day, as we encourage students to wait after going out on the weekend.”

She said people are paid $20 every time they donate.

Lisa Gullick, junior in fashion merchandising, donates plasma at Community BioResources and said it is similar to donating blood.

“It really doesn’t feel different from giving blood. They insert the needle, the blood filters through the machine, which separates the blood and plasma, and the blood is put back in,” she said. “It’s really pretty simple.”

Gullick said there is a screening process to determine if a donor is eligible.

“They prick your finger and do some tests on your blood. They also ask some questions about your health and lifestyle,” she said.

Walter said some requirements must be met before the donors can be accepted.

Applicants must be between 18 and 60 years old, must weigh at least 110 pounds and must pass a blood screening.

She said during the applicant screening, there are checks for total protein, blood pressure, temperature and pulse.

Certain medications may also disqualify a potential donor, depending on the length and nature of use.

Gullick said the time passes quickly, and there are ways for donors to stay busy.

“Some people see donating plasma as a part-time job,” she said. “They read magazines, do homework, watch TV or even play donor bingo while earning their money,” she said.

Walter said the holiday season has made the center slightly busier than usual.

“We’re basically busy all year, except during the summer. That’s when people are usually busy with sporting events and vacationing,” she said. “Things have been really busy right now, so we do encourage people to make an appointment rather than just walking in.”

She said Baxter Health Corporation, which uses the plasma for various health products, owns Community BioResources.