Zones help students take a load off

Jamie Lange

Stress Free Zones have become refuges for students struggling through Dead Week this week. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., students can get away from the screeching sounds of their highlighters and can relax to soothing music and herbal teas.

Penny Rosenthal, program coordinator for the Dean of Students office, said the Office of Adult Learner & Commuter Student Programs, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, Student Counseling Services, the Wellness Center and the Vice President of Student Affairs office began the Stress Free Zones in the fall of 1996.

“Stress Free Zones offer students, staff and faculty an opportunity to relax, refocus and regenerate before finals week hits,” Rosenthal said.

Students, staff and faculty are able to relax in two locations this semester — the Maintenance Shop and the Sloss House.

Rosenthal said the M-Shop features a Stress Free Play Room that includes electronic cars, Legos, coloring books, bubbles and Play-Doh.

“In the play room, the electronic cars and Nerf toys are the favorite toys of students,” she said.

Martha Norton, program coordinator for Student Counseling Services, said she expects the number of students attending the zones to increase from previous years due to the addition of the M-Shop.

“The M-Shop is good just because of the visibility of the location,” Norton said. “Tuesday was the first day, and it was very busy there. The play room brings in the most people.”

In contrast to the play room, the Sloss House offers a relaxing atmosphere with soft lighting, soothing music, herbal teas and progressive relaxation, Norton said.

“Progressive relaxation is a stress reduction technique that takes 10 minutes and leaves you feeling like you’ve slept for eight hours,” she said.

Norton said the Stress Free Zone a student, faculty or staff member chooses depends largely on the mood of the individual.

“It all depends on the individual — how stressed were they coming into the Stress Free Zones? How open were they to enjoying themselves?” Norton said.

“I believe if one student feels relief before finals begin, then the benefits justify the program,” she said. “All students are welcome to take some time out from a very stressful time of year and play or relax.”

The program ends Friday.