ISU leaders: Homophobia exists in greek system

Jason Young

Editor’s Note: “Coming Out in the Greek System” is a two-part series written by Daily reporter Jason Young. This article is the second part of the series and it examines whether homophobia is present in Iowa State’s greek system.

Homophobia is a widespread prejudice in today’s society, and some Iowa State leaders say the trend is often reflected in Iowa State’s greek system.

Part of Brian Tenclinger’s job description as coordinator of Greek Affairs is to assist with the “coming out” process. He serves as an ally to the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Ally Alliance.

Tenclinger said nearly 14 percent of ISU students live in the greek system. Of that 14 percent, less than 1 percent has sought his assistance regarding gay, lesbian or bisexual issues.

He has visited with between five and 10 people, predominantly males, about the coming out process. He also has spoken with ISU alumni who were afraid to come out while they lived in the greek system at ISU and chose to divulge their sexuality after college.

“Many of them said they were struggling internally,” Tenclinger said.

Of those alumni, Tenclinger said two were afraid to come out because they lived in homophobic environments.

“When you join a fraternity or sorority, you join it for life. Homophobia causes a lack of trust in the [greek] atmosphere,” he said.

Angie Chipman, president of LGBTAA, said the greek system is considered by some members of the LGBTAA as a predominantly homophobic environment.

“There’s no doubt that homophobia exists in the ISU greek system,” she said.

Chipman said 10 members of the greek system, seven males and three females, have at one time or another attended LGBTAA meetings this semester.

She has heard both positive and negative reactions from greek members who have come out to their houses. She said in one instance, a fraternity member revealed his “secret” and was made to feel unwelcome. The member moved out of the house to avoid harassment.

Carolyn Jones, president of the Panhellenic Council, said in her experience she has not found homophobia to be prevalent in ISU’s greek system. But she said if a gay person rushed a house, it might cause a stir.

“I think if an openly gay person went to any organization … there’s going to be an issue,” she said.

Article 13 of the Panhellenic Association’s constitution says the association shall not “discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap or sexual orientation in the selection of its members or programs unless federal or state laws allow for such exceptions.”

Laura Cripple, president of Delta Zeta sorority, 2138 Sunset Drive, said she does not think there is homophobia in her house.

“I wouldn’t say [lesbian or bisexual Rushees] would be any less considered than anyone else,” she said.

Michael Lane, president of Kappa Sigma fraternity, 237 Ash Ave., recognized that homophobia exists in the greek system, though he has not encountered it firsthand.

It’s “no more prevalent in the greek system than in everyday life,” Lane said. “ISU is a fairly large university, but it’s still kind of small-town Iowa.”

Ryan McKenna, president of FarmHouse fraternity, 311 Ash Ave., agrees with Cripple and Jones that he has not seen evidence of homophobia in the greek system.

“It’s not a topic I’ve thought a lot about,” he said.

McKenna said sexual preference is not usually a factor in deciding who may pledge. It’s about “trying to find a good fit for the guys in the house and a good fit for the Rushees coming in,” he said.

Tenclinger said fraternities and sororities are not allowed to make decisions on whom may pledge based on sexual orientation due to anti-discrimination laws.

He said most chapters, if not all, have anti-discrimination policies set by their national chapters.

Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, said homophobia is a problem in more than just the greek system. It can be spotted everywhere on campus.

“It’s not just a greek problem. It’s an Iowa State problem,” he said.

Dougharty, who oversees the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Student Services at ISU, defines homophobia as fear and/or hatred of homosexuality and homosexual relations.

Dougharty said homophobia and heterosexism in the greek system might be more evident because of “gender-rigid” activities, such as having strictly heterosexual couples from the greek system linking arms, walking in the Veishea parade.

Getting to know gay or bisexual individuals is the best way to quell feelings of homophobia and resentment, Dougharty said.

Tenclinger said bringing programming into greek houses is integral in addressing gay, lesbian and bisexual issues. He said houses should consider having open forums where gays and lesbians field questions about their sexuality, though he conceded it will not be accepted across the board.

“Not everyone’s going to accept this. Point blank,” he said.