FCS building on the rise

Jennifer Reiter

Construction is underway for the Palmer Human Development and Family Science Building, which is intended to enhance Iowa State’s family and consumer sciences programs.

The new building, located between MacKay and Carrie Chapman Catt Halls, is scheduled to be finished by late November of next year.

When finished, Palmer Building will be the location of three labs and clinics offered by the College of Family and Consumer Science.

The labs and clinics include a child development lab, a family financial counseling clinic and a marriage therapy/family counseling clinic.

“The new facility means ISU will be at the forefront of offering a wonderful facility for the students,” said Joan Herwig, associate professor in human development and family studies.

Mary Jo Glanville, communication specialist for the college, said many benefits will come out of the completion of the Palmer Building.

“Having all the programs in one facility will provide more opportunities,” Glanville said. “A big thing for us in the college is having all the programs located so close together.”

Herwig said the new building also will help make the program highly visible, which is something prospective students will look at when applying at ISU.

Currently, there are about 250 students involved in the programs that the College of Family and Consumer Sciences offers.

“The new facility will accommodate more students and will open up new possibilities for the students,” Herwig said.

Herwig said the people involved in the program have shown a lot of enthusiasm for the completion of the building. She said excitement has come not only from the students but also from the children and families involved in the clinics.

Currently, the programs involve 110 children who already have had the opportunity to see where the building is being constructed.

“Having children in the heart of an academic community is important. There will be truly a life span in the building,” she said.

Herwig said the plans for a new facility have been in the works since 1994.

“Fund raising has been going on for 15 or more years — we have always been interested in this,” she said.

The building will be named after Barbara Reader Palmer, a 1946 alumnus in household equipment, and James R. Palmer, a 1944 alumnus in electrical engineering, who gave a $1.1 million leadership gift for the building.

The rest of the funding for the building was provided by additional private gifts totaling $5.9 million. An additional $1.3 million is being raised to complete the third floor.

The dedication of Palmer Building will take place June 2, 2000.