Swing, alternative may take mainstage at Rock Veishea ’99

Bengi Tozeren

This year’s Veishea Entertainment co-chairmen say they are confident the student body will have a great time at Veishea 1999’s events.

Justin Wilhelm, junior in mechanical engineering, and Matt Schaefer, junior in agricultural business, said in statement that they are “excited by the progress so far this year.”

Last year, the Veishea entertainment committee invited the bands Tonic, The Flaming Lips Experiment and The Crystal Method for the main stage at Rock Veishea.

Some students voiced discontent about the performances of those bands and said they would like to see bigger names at this year’s Veishea.

“Basically, the poor quality [of] the bands and lack of time caused some of the complaints from the students,” Schaefer said.

He said some of the bands the committee was seeking for last year’s concert either already had other scheduled events or were on tour.

“Tonic and The Crystal Method were the best we could do for last year’s Veishea,” he said.

Schaefer said the committee has been working for eight weeks, talking with students to get a sense of which bands they want to see at Veishea ’98.

Schaefer said the committee is trying to book a wide variety of bands, from swing to alternative.

“We know that not every student on campus likes the alternative music,” Schaefer said. “We are trying to diversify the music for next year’s Veishea events.”

Schaefer said the entertainment committee is aware that improvements are needed for Rock Veishea.

“We will continue to benefit from complaints, comments and suggestions for the plans for next year’s Veishea events,” he said.

Amy Bensema, junior in English, said Tonic sounded average, but for next year’s Veishea, she wants to see more prominent acts, like the band Hole.

“Tonic’s performance wasn’t as good as I was expecting,” Bensema said. “They sounded as if they didn’t practice before the stage.”

Dana Sanza, junior in biology, said she would love to see the Beastie Boys, Offspring or Jewel at Rock Veishea.

“They are slightly more renowned than Tonic and The Crystal Method,” she said.