ISU students shape up with aerobic kickboxing

Danielle Hughson

Iowa has seen a marked increase in the popularity of aerobic kickboxing over the last several years.

The sport, which started in such trend-setting states as California and Florida, recently has drawn a crowd of loyal Iowa State followers.

With the recent employment of J.J. Johnson, ISU fitness programs coordinator, the sport could attract even more students.

Johnson has been teaching aerobics for 10 years and kickboxing for four years in both Arizona and Florida.

“[Kickboxing is] very progressive out in Florida,” Johnson said. “And the popularity in Iowa is definitely increasing. People are asking about [kickboxing] and wanting to do it.”

Johnson said aerobic kickboxing is a combination sport.

“It’s not kickboxing in the martial arts sense; it’s in an aerobic sense,” Johnson said. “In other words, it adheres to the music and to an aerobics class format, but it’s intertwined with the idea of kickboxing. It takes the best of both worlds.”

Currently, the kickboxing class taught at ISU is officially known as “Funky Kick Box.” However, starting spring semester, the name will change to “Cardio Kick Box.”

Classes meet Fridays at 6:30 a.m., Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:20 p.m. and Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday’s class is held in State Gym, while all others are held in the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

“If you’ve never been in it or seen it, it doesn’t matter,” Johnson said. “You can come the first couple weeks of spring semester and learn basic punches from the instructors before class.”

Johnson added that the basic punches are the jab, uppercut, cross punch and hook. Kicks include a snap kick, side kick and roundhouse kick.

“For most purposes, we stick with the side and snap kicks,” Johnson said. “If you really get into it, though, it’s possible to get up to such things as ax kicks.”

Johnson added that punches and kicks are interspersed with plyometrics such as athletic power drills, jumping rope and sometimes sprints.

“It’s considered an advanced class because of the cardiovascular aspect,” Johnson said. “We ask beforehand if anyone is or has been in martial arts, and those who have are usually a bit apprehensive.

“But on the other hand, it’s certainly open to anyone,” Johnson said. “You’re definitely going to get a workout.”

Johnson’s class starts with warm-ups, continues with the aerobic kickboxing itself and usually ends with abdominal exercises and push-ups. The music used is very high-energy, with a faster paced beat per pace than music used in a step class.

It’s been rumored that aerobic kickboxing can burn 800 calories an hour. Johnson said burning calories at such a rate is possible, but the amount of calories burned depends largely on the individual’s body composition and weight.

“It’s a high output class,” she said. “You tend to push yourself to an anaerobic threshold. By doing so, you get a really good workout.”

Johnson also said that while the program is open to everyone, the primary turnout at classes tends to be female.

“When I taught in Arizona, it was really half male and half female, so we were hoping to get more males interested in it at Iowa State,” Johnson said. “It should appeal to a lot of males. It’s not a dance — it’s athletic and takes coordination.”

Altogether, however, Johnson said that the response to aerobic kickboxing at ISU has been very positive.

“People are looking for more variation, and this is something different,” she said. “Anyone can be successful in this class.”