Veishea: a tradition that will never die for students

Jamie Lange

One of Iowa State’s most celebrated traditions is once again being questioned.

ISU President Martin Jischke said last month that if the student organizations do not take the Veishea pledge, the celebration will be canceled.

Last week, the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council voted to support an alcohol-free Veishea.

The Government of the Student Body and the Inter-Residence Hall Association tabled their bills on the issue.

The two organizations are scheduled to vote again later this week, and ISU students appear to be divided about whether the celebration will continue.

“I think because of what happened two years ago at Veishea [the murder of Harold ‘Uri’ Sellers], some people are afraid that it will be canceled this year, while others believe it will go on no matter what,” said Greg Storlie, sophomore in management information systems.

Like Storlie, some students are wondering about the fate of Veishea.

“I don’t think they will cancel Veishea after the calmness of last year,” said Daniel Brooks, graduate student in architecture. “Veishea is a celebration of the university’s existence, but I think they really celebrate it because everyone would go crazy if they stopped it.”

Many students feel the image of Veishea has changed.

“Right now, I think Veishea equals party — that’s just how it’s always been perceived by students,” said Dave Poskevich, sophomore in management information systems.

Andy Ellison, freshman in computer science, said even if Veishea is canceled, “there will still be partying going on.”

“I think people will drink if they want to, and signing a piece of paper won’t change that one way or another,” he said.

“For example, I won’t drink during Veishea, but I don’t need to sign a piece of paper not to,” Ellison said.

Some students hope that if enough people take the Veishea pledge, the administration will no longer have reason to consider canceling the festival.

“I do not think that Veishea will be canceled. It gives the university too much attention to be canceled,” said Matt Murray, freshman in business.

“According to Jischke, it was successful last year, so he will want to have it again. It’s a weekend for students to have fun and relax. Also, it’s an event for ISU to get some good and free publicity,” Murray said.