Men’s Volleyball Club rebuilds

Jaci Bennett

While men’s volleyball may not be an intercollegiate sport at Iowa State, students are spiking the competition at the club level.

The Men’s Volleyball Club has four teams, with about 10 men on each team. They compete in the United States Association of Volleyball (USAV) tournaments, which are non-collegiate tournaments. The teams also participate in collegiate tournaments.

“We play against other Division I teams, and we also do activities with the Women’s Volleyball Club,” Gromala said.

Gromala said the club is rebuilding right now because many of last year’s members graduated.

“The teams we have now are probably the youngest [we’ve had] in six or seven years,” Gromala said.

Despite the young team, Gromala said they are doing quite well.

“Our club usually ranks in the top 20 in the nation,” he said.

The club practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a couple of hours each time.

Although it has become increasingly popular in the United States, students say they doubt it will become an intercollegiate sport at Iowa State anytime soon.

Donald Gromala, president of the Men’s Volleyball Club and junior in mechanical engineering, said he doesn’t think it will happen.

“I don’t think [men’s volleyball is] popular enough in the Midwest,” Gromala said.

Jeremy Shepherd, member of the club and sophomore in civil engineering, said he also doubts it will become a varsity sport at ISU.

“It’s not as popular here as it is in Illinois or California,” Shepherd said.

The teams will participate in tournaments in Ames, Des Moines and the University of Northern Iowa and will also travel out-of-state for tournaments. Gromala said the teams will be attending a national competition at the University of Maryland in April.

“We have four home tournaments this year, and we continue to play throughout the year,” said Eric Kostelny, vice president of the club and junior in mechanical engineering.

The next tournament hosted by ISU will be held on Feb. 6 in the Forker Building.

Next weekend, the club will play at a tournament in Illinois, Gromala said. He said this semester is still the club’s pre-season, and next semester is when the volleyball season officially starts.

The club dues are $40 per semester or $60 for the whole year.