Footloose at ISU

Kelly Milner

Anyone can watch, study or perform dance, but rarely do they get to participate in all three during one event.

“Footfalls,” the tenth annual concert of Iowa State dance troupes, will showcase everything from swing to modern dance in an interactive performance complete with crowd participation.

“The purpose of this concert is to share,” said Janice Baker, assistant professor in health and human performance. “To share the love of moving.”

At the performance, the audience is invited to dance prior to the show and during the finale.

ISU dance group Orchesis II will lure the audience into the swing finale, and ballroom dance students will assist the crowd with the dance steps.

“We wish to make dance accessible as a community activity, to inspire the audience to join right in, not later, but right then to celebrate,” Baker said.

The event will kick off with dance instructor Linda Sabo, who will explain the creative process involved in planning a dance routine, while a composition class choreographs a dance act of its own.

The traditional forms of jazz, modern and ballet dance will be performed based on techniques learned in class. The ballet class will also perform sections from the second act of “The Nutcracker.”

Instructor Vernon Windsor’s modern dance classes display the fundamental technique studies of distinguished Professor Betty Toman.

A jazz dance class under the instruction of Baker is scheduled to dance the song “Steam Heat” from the musical “The Pajama Game.”

Baker also planned for three classes to perform similar movements to different types of music.

“It’s all oriented around their aesthetic,” Baker said. “It’s interesting to see the way personalities come across.”

The Iowa State Dance Tour Company will strut its swing skills in several dance pieces. The troupe features junior in anthropology Jeremy Waymire, who recently won a regional contest for ballroom dance in Champaign-Urbana.

Performing Arts Senior Adam Simmons will present a modern dance piece with movement inspired from dramatic situations and colors.

The evening will end with Orchesis II “raising a ruckus,” performing classic folk dances and traditional peasant dances from the medieval period.

Orchesis II will perform a tap piece choreographed by a member of “Tap Dogs,” the Australian traveling show that recently made a stop in Ames.

“Our goal is for dance to be as articulate for the ISU student as the written and spoken word,” Baker said.

ISU students have a chance to expand their dance vocabulary by attending “Footfalls” Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Toman Dance Studio Theater in the Forker Building. Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for children under 12.