Finalists for LAS dean down to five candidates

Jennifer Reiter

The search for a new dean for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Iowa State was recently narrowed to five finalists.

The finalists were chosen from a pool of applications that were submitted to the search committee, said Richard Ross, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and search committee chairman.

“We are looking for someone to take leadership,” Ross said. “We are also looking for someone with excellent credentials with administrative experience.”

The finalists will be on campus for a two-day interviewing process. During this time, each candidate will attend two open forums.

The first public forum will allow the candidates to speak on the role of a liberal arts and sciences college at a land-grant university. During the second open forum, the candidates will respond to questions on campus diversity.

Ross said the finalists will be able to meet with various administrators, students and faculty during the interviewing process. Evaluation forms will be handed out at the forums and sent back to the search committee.

Anne Dolan, communications specialist in Internal Communications, said it is important that people add their input.

“I hope that students do get involved,” Dolan said.

“Students are welcomed to attend either or both of the open forums. They will be able to ask questions and fill out evaluation forms for the search committee to review,” she said.

The five finalists for the position are Lynne Billard, professor of statistics at the University of Georgia; John Dobson, interim LAS dean and professor of history at ISU; Peter Rabideau, dean of the College of Basic Sciences and professor of chemistry at Louisiana State University; Leon Radziemski, dean of the College of Sciences and professor of physics at Washington State University; and Joseph Templeton, professor of chemistry at the University of North Carolina.

The first public forum will be held at 4:10 p.m. in the Memorial Union on the following dates:

• Nov. 30 — Billard in the Gallery Room
  • Dec. 7 — Dobson in the Gallery Room
  • Dec. 10 — Templeton in the Gallery Room
  • Dec. 14 — Rabideau in the Gallery Room
  • Dec. 16 — Radziemski in the Pioneer Room

The second public forum will be held in the 107 Lab of Mechanics on the following dates and times:

• Nov. 30 — 10 a.m., Billard
  • Dec. 7 — 11 a.m., Dobson
  • Dec. 10 — 11 a.m., Templeton
  • Dec. 14 — 11 a.m., Rabideau
  • Dec. 16 — 8 a.m., Radziemski