Mentors teach, research and reach out

Cheryl Cox

The word “mentor” may conjure up thoughts of Mr. Miyagi teaching Daniel to “wax on, wax off,” in the movie “The Karate Kid.”

Mentors at Iowa State may know more about academics than karate techniques, but their goals are the same — to guide their pupils in the areas of discipline and education.

Mentoring programs are currently offered for Freshman Honors students, construction engineering students and faculty members.

“The program for honor students began in 1960 as a national movement to provide more intellectually stimulating experience for bright students,” said Edwin Lewis, associate provost and head of the Freshman Honors mentors.

Lewis said mentors are volunteer faculty members and professionals, such as scientists, who are enthusiastic, have an interest in working with students and are active in research programs.

There are 360 students enrolled in the program this year, he said, and they will begin research this spring semester.

“The main value is to get an idea of what research in a particular discipline is like and to get more information on that topic,” Lewis said.

Lewis said any student could benefit from a mentor.

“It’s probably possible to do this on your own, through your department, although there is a certain amount of coursework required before a one-to-one basis will be considered,” he said.

The mentoring program for construction engineers allows students to spend a day with construction professionals.

“I think it’s a really valuable experience,” said Ross Schafer, junior in construction engineering and junior representative of the Associated General Contractors student group.

“I spent the day in Des Moines last year, and I think you learn more than you would in class some days,” Schafer said.

Students aren’t the only ones at ISU with prot‚g‚s.

“Mentors to new faculty are tenured faculty who are particularly successful in their career and do a good job of teaching students,” said Faye P. Whitaker, administrator of faculty mentoring for the provost.

She said the program is in its fifth year and has a high participation rate.

All mentoring programs have the same principles as Whitaker describes: teaching, research and outreach.