Students advised on how to stay safe

Jennifer Reiter

After several incidents of break-ins in the residence halls, students are learning to be more aware of what they can do to protect themselves and their possessions.

Programs were held Oct. 25 and Nov. 1 in Barton, Lyon, Freeman and Fisher-Nickell Halls to inform the residences on personal safety.

The programs taught the residents how to prevent incidents such as the one that happened to Lisa Young, sophomore in animal ecology. On Sept. 18, an intruder entered her room while she was sleeping. There also have been reports of “peepers” outside other residence halls.

Court Padgitt, resident assistant of Anders House in Barton Hall, said the program covered theft, safety on campus and self-defense.

“It was a good turnout, and a lot was learned; however, I am still seeing some of the same procedures,” Padgitt said.

Jessica Schild, resident assistant of Busse House in Freeman Hall, said residents have gotten upset about the possibilities of break-ins. Schild said she also has posted information about safety in the restrooms to further inform her residents on how to prevent these situations.

To better protect their possessions, Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety, has some advice for students.

“If students have valuables in their rooms, they should keep it locked up in a filing cabinet or in a small safe,” Jaeger said. “They should also write down the serial number of anything valuable in case something was stolen so it would be easier to identify if it was found.”

Jaeger also said it is important for students to lock their doors, even if they are in the den or in a friend’s room down the hall.

“I lock my door every time I leave my room,” said Danielle Robertson, resident of Vollmer House in Freeman Hall and freshman in psychology. “I feel safe, but I am more cautious about it now after what has been happening.”