ISU educates public about college expenses

Jamie Lange

Iowa State, along with nearly 1,200 other colleges and universities, will be participating in “College is Possible,” a national education campaign sponsored by The American Council on Education.

The campaign, which is in the developmental stages, is aimed at enhancing public knowledge about financing a college education, according to a press release.

“This was part of an American Council on Education initiative. President [Martin] Jischke is on the Board of Directors of the ACE,” said Earl Dowling, director of Student Financial Aid Office.

Dowling said ACE has made information available to any university wishing to participate.

“At Iowa State, we are getting started, and it is my understanding that students will be involved,” he said.

ISU’s involvement in the program is new, but awareness is being raised.

“Already, response has been positive regarding our participation. Just making the public aware of this campaign will help,” Dowling said.

Jischke said the university wants to make families aware that aid is available.

“My message to the people of Iowa, particularly those who are thinking about going on to college, is don’t let finances ever stop you from coming to Iowa State,” Jischke said. “We will work with you, your parents and others to help finance your education.”

Dowling said this assistance in financing a student’s education may be in the form of summer jobs, the ISU tuition plan, on- and off-campus employment opportunities and traditional student aid, including scholarships, grants and student loans.

“I suggest currently enrolled students work closely with their college and department offices,” he said.

Dowling also recommends the Student Financial Aid Office and its Web site as beneficial resources.

Dowling said the presentations will be a beneficial source for students and families of Iowa.

“People typically overestimate tuition at a university like Iowa State by a factor of three. They believe tuition — not room and board — is typically over $9,000 a year,” Jischke said.

Dowling said stories in the media are to blame for this misconception.

“You have probably seen the stories about the cost of education in which families are informed that a college education will cost ‘big bucks,'” he said. “The schools typically referenced in those stories tend to be high-cost ones located on either coast.”

The Student Financial Aid Office will present 13 student financial aid presentations to 22 Iowa counties using the Iowa Communications Network (ICN).

“This interactive broadcast will feature the latest update on student aid to include application procedures, deadlines, eligibility requirements and the opportunity to address questions,” he said.