Seagrave ready to help position’s transition

Andy Tofilon

Richard Seagrave, who was named as interim provost Monday, replacing Provost John Kozak, said he is prepared for the challenge of getting the university’s new provost situated.

Seagrave, distinguished professor of chemical engineering, was notified last week that he would be the interim provost by Iowa State President Martin Jischke.

“The president is a very persuasive person,” Seagrave said. “I would like to do my part in ensuring a smooth transition to the next provost.”

Seagrave’s appointment is effective Jan. 1, after Kozak’s Dec. 31 resignation.

“I think [Kozak] has taken us through a lot of transitions and has done a very good job,” Seagrave said. “He worked hard for this university, and I think we are better because of it.”

Seagrave will serve as the chief academic officer of the university. He also will help in the search for a permanent provost.

“The main job is to provide a connection to the permanent provost, which will come sometime next fall,” he said. “I will help make it a smooth transition.”

The first step of the hiring process for a new provost will begin soon with the formation of a search committee, Seagrave said. The committee will carry out a nationwide, and probably international, search.

“The committee will narrow down the field and then bring the final candidates to campus, where they will be interviewed,” he said. “We expect that the process will take six to 10 months, which is being optimistic.”

Seagrave said he hopes to help in whatever way he can during the hiring process.

“I will be involved in the interview process because I am sure the candidates will want to know about the job and what goes along with it,” he said. “Hopefully, I will know what I am doing by that time.”

Seagrave has been a member of the ISU faculty since 1966. He was named a professor in 1971 and distinguished professor in 1982.

Seagrave served as the professor-in-charge of the biomedical engineering program from 1974 to 1980 and chairman of the chemical engineering program from 1983 to 1990.

He said he plans to return to the chemical engineering program after serving as interim provost.

“I think it will be an interesting challenge,” Seagrave said.

“I will get to work with a lot of people that I have a tremendous respect for. I am looking forward to the challenge and the work ahead,” he said.