Happiness is often measured in degrees of luck

Amy Hillman

Mid-terms have passed, and it is getting to that point in the semester where everyone is ready for it to be over. Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready to have some of my classes end too, but all in all, what’s so bad about gaining a quality education?

I’ve been doing a lot of people-watching lately, and it seems to me that there are few students who have good things to say about school. If it’s not complaints about classes then it is complaints about social life or work — and let’s not forget all of the complaints about tuition increases.

I have the worst case of “senioritis” known to man. I hate any tuition increase that comes my way, and Lord knows I really hate a class or two. Yet every now and then I stop and remind myself just how lucky I am to be at Iowa State University.

Three years ago I was walking through Iowa State’s central campus, and I was thinking about all of the things I had to do before I transferred to Northern Arizona University. I was preparing to move to the southwest to be with my boyfriend at that time. All of the sudden something hit me, and I realized that I truly had an excellent and unique opportunity at ISU. I had a chance to fulfill my dreams.

My decision to stay at ISU was not only a positive emotional decision, but one that will effect my life’s path forever. I’ve gotten a better educational experience, better internships, and I definitely got better boyfriends and friends because I chose to remain a Cyclone.

I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in what is going wrong and what is making us angry about school that we neglect to see how lucky we are to be here. Iowa State University not only provides us with a quality education, but it also gives us a chance to participate in activities that can better us for the rest of our lives.

Instead of complaining how you don’t have anything on your resum‚, get involved in a career-related club or organization. There are clubs for almost every major on this campus, and they all help you to network with companies and organizations in your chosen field.

If you want to make new friends, clubs are a great place to turn to. There are hundreds of clubs on this campus, and you are almost sure to find one that can fulfill your interests. These range from religious groups to sports clubs. Heck, there’s even a yo-yo club.

When it comes to complaining about tuition increases … well, these do totally stink. However, if you would take time to investigate all of the wonderful things ISU offers, then you might begin to have a better understanding of where all of your money goes.

So many people complain about tuition increase, but can you honestly say you have looked into where your money is really going or how much cheaper it is here compared to other leading universities? Until recently I had always complained about this but never researched it.

All of the great organizations and clubs I was telling you about earlier get funding from our money. Our money also goes toward all of our educational supplies, such as computers, buildings to have class in and our fine educators.

Sure, you may not agree with the way all of your money is being used, but ISU officials are trying to do their best for the majority of students.

Keep in mind that every single person can’t always be pleased.

If that isn’t enough to convince you how lucky you are to be an ISU student, then take five minutes to look at the aesthetics of this campus. I have been to many campuses around the world, and I must say that ISU has one of the most beautiful campuses I’ve ever seen. If you’ve ever sat between Curtis and Beardshear on a sunny day, you know what I mean.

So is ISU so bad? Ask yourself that the next time you start complaining.

If you truly don’t agree with any of the positive aspects of ISU I have discussed, then I have one small question for you: What the hell are you doing here? If you honestly hate it, then get out so you don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

My time at this fine institution will wind up in a semester, and I often take a few extra minutes when walking to class.

I like to remind myself how lucky I was to have this opportunity. I suggest you do the same.

For now, I am personally going to go take a walk around this beautiful campus before I start to sound too much like Jischke’s promotional commercials.

Amy Hillman is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Grand Junction.