Ethos editors resign

Jason Young

Two Ethos editors and the Ethos creative director officially resigned from the magazine Monday before the Ethos publication board. Their resignations will take effect at the end of this semester.

Ethos Editor Stephanie Murphy, Managing Editor Jessica Kearney and Creative Director Aaron Barstow resigned from their positions. Murphy and Kearney declined to comment about their resignations.

Both editors said a public statement will be issued at a later date.

Olivia Ogren, director of public relations and promotions for Ethos, said she has not been fully informed why the editors resigned.

“They haven’t come out and told me in black and white,” Ogren said. “I hope [the resignations] won’t affect the future of Ethos.”

Government of the Student Body President Bryan Burkhardt said Kearney told him time commitment played a major role in her decision to resign. Besides being managing editor, Kearney also acts as business manager.

“Students should understand it takes a long time to put together a magazine of that caliber,” he said.

According to GSB budgets, Ethos is allocated $20,085 per semester, which figures out to $40,170 for the entire academic year.

Jeremy Williams, finance director of GSB, said Ethos will receive its allotted funding for the remainder of the year, even if the magazine is not published next semester.

“If Ethos stopped publishing, their GSB-allocated money would stay in their account until the end of the fiscal year,” he said. “At which time the GSB-allocated money would revert back to GSB and would be placed in the GSB special projects account.”

Williams said Ethos may apply for funding next year, though the magazine is not assured funding.

“Yes, they could apply, but they would not be guaranteed any money. Especially since they wouldn’t have completed their subscription commitment for this year,” he said.

If things go according to plan, Ethos will release another issue during the second week of December. The second issue currently is being printed and will be lengthier than the first issue.

It is not known whether there will be a search for replacements for next semester.

John Eighmey, chairman of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, said he was disappointed with the resignations, though he said he understands that publishing a magazine is time consuming.

“They have worked mightily hard,” he said.