Science and faith unite at symposium

Jonathan Olson

Science and religion have been at odds for centuries, but attendees of the Fifth Annual O. Norman Carlson Faith and Science Symposium will attempt to foster discussion about the two subjects.

Karl Koch, pastor of University Lutheran Congregation, 2126 Gable Lane, said the symposium is a dialogue between members of the science and religion communities.

The event is held in memory of the late Norman Carlson, an Iowa State physicist and one-time employee of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory, where he worked on the Manhattan Project.

Koch said Carlson was a “strong churchman” and an active member of the Lutheran church who wrestled with the conflict between his religion and his work developing a weapon of destruction.

“[Carlson had] in the forefront of his mind a constant dialogue between faith and science,” Koch said.

He said Carlson’s debate helped provide the foundation for the symposium.

“The basic assumption of this symposium has been always that there is, in fact, a deep-seated connection between faith and science,” Koch said.

This year’s symposium topic is “The Cloning Controversy: Scientific and Theological Perspectives,” and the keynote speaker is Ted Peters.

Peters is a professor of systematic theology at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary and the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, Calif. He also is a research professor at the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences, according to a press release.

Peters wrote “Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom,” which received the 1998 Book Award from the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences and the John Templeton Foundation.

“[Ted Peters is] one of the leading theologians in the country dealing with the issue of genetics and cloning,” Koch said.

There will also be a panel discussion and an opportunity for the audience to ask questions.

Panelists include Gary Comstock, professor of religious ethics and Jack Girton, professor of developmental genetics. The third panelist is Norma Hirsch, pediatrician and professor of medical ethics at the University of Iowa Hospitals.

The symposium will be held Saturday in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union. Registration will be at 12:30 p.m. and the program will follow from 1 to 5 p.m.