Ag Week expands this year with more creativity

Olivia Ogren

Grab your cowboy hat, your football tickets and your resum‚ — the College of Agriculture has kicked off its annual Ag Week.

Students in the College of Ag can expect a week full of activities hosted by various agriculture clubs.

Tonia Hesse, Ag Week chairwoman and senior in dairy science, said there are many new events this year, along with the annual activities.

Some of the new highlights include a display at the North Grand Mall, a scavenger hunt Wednesday and the Ag Week Banquet Thursday, she said.

Hesse said there was an emphasis to expand the events for this year’s celebration, as well to make the week more creative.

“Everyone has worked really hard to make this unique,” Hesse said. “Everyone is really working together.”

The Agronomy Club, Sigma Alpha and National Agriculture Marketing Association are hosting the Ag Tailgate north of Jack Trice Stadium two hours before the Cyclones’ Saturday kickoff.

Hesse encourages all students to attend the tailgate.

“There’s good food, lots of fun … and a chance to cheer on the Cyclones,” Hesse said.

Joshua Tait, junior in agriculture business, said he is looking forward to the activities during Ag Week. Tait said he thinks this week’s barbecue, hay ride and scavenger hunt will provide a good opportunity for students to interact and have fun.

“It’s a good old-fashioned country time,” Tait said.

He said he will also be attending Ag Career Day on Tuesday. There are “a lot of opportunities” provided by career day, Tait said.

Mike Gaul, director of Agriculture Career Services, said 140 companies are scheduled to attend Ag Career Day. He said 110 of those companies will have internship positions, so there is “something for everyone.”

Although the career day has been scaled back from last year due to lack of space, the Iowa State Ag Career Day is the largest in the country, Gaul said.

Gaul also stressed that the career day will give students the opportunity to practice their interviewing skills.

While Ag Week has already begun with a display at the North Grand Mall and a costume contest at Hunky Dory’s, there are still many events remaining.

Other events include:

• Monday: Mock interviews, Agronomy Hall, 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sponsored by Alpha Zeta.
  • Tuesday: a barbecue sponsored by the American Society of Agriculture Engineers, Davidson Hall, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday: Hayride and bonfire, ISU Dairy Farm, 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., sponsored by Block & Bridle Club. Scavenger Hunt, Curtiss Hall, 10 pm. to midnight, sponsored by Ag-Ed Club, Farm-Op Club.
  • Thursday: T-shirt Day, Curtiss Hall, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., sponsored by MANRRS. Ag Week Banquet, Scheman Building, 6 p.m., sponsored by Collegiate FFA.
  • Friday: Faculty Coffee, Brenton Center, 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Sponsored by the Pre-Vet Club.
  • Saturday: Ag Tailgate, north of Jack Trice Stadium, two hours before kickoff.
  • On Tuesday, Nov. 10: Ag Career Day, Memorial Union, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sponsored by Ag Systems and Technology Club.