Renter’s insurance helps students avoid big problems

Young-Sun Na

Although Iowa State has an extensive residence hall system, almost 15,000 students live in off-campus housing.

When students sign a lease for an apartment or house, they should take caution in order to avoid big problems that could occur later, said Penny Rosenthal, director of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs.

Before signing a lease, Rosenthal said it is important to walk through the unit, make sure everything works well and clarify any misunderstandings in the contract. She said students should also ask if it is possible to sublease the unit and find out who is responsible for its maintenance and repairs.

Rosenthal said tenants should not forget to alert their landlords to areas in the unit that need repair within 48 hours of possession, or they could become responsible for all repairs in the future.

Larry Curtis, professor of business law, said Iowa Code requires landlords to make all repairs that keep the property in fit and livable condition and maintain all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and other facilities, such as elevators.

Landlords also have to keep all common areas clean and safe, provide and maintain receptacles for garbage and rubbish and supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times as essential services, Curtis said.

For those students who share a unit with other people, he said an individual lease is the best way for a renter to be financially protected.

“The terminology is called joint and severable liability,” Curtis said. “You could have a responsibility for all of [the rent] or you could be responsible just for your proportion.”

Without joint or severable liability, he said if one person leaves, the rest of the renters could be stuck with paying that person’s share of the rent.

Rosenthal said people also should make sure the rental unit is registered in the City of Ames. Besides being a violation of law, she said non-registered rental units are not inspected by Ames, and the unit can be unsafe. She also recommended people check the history of the rental unit they are considering with Ames records.

Curtis said once a lease has been signed, revisions can be made only by the mutual agreement between the tenant and the landlord.

Rosenthal said if accidents occur on rented property, either the tenant or the landlord can be held responsible, depending on where it happens and what the lease states. She said all tenants should get renter’s insurance to protect their property.

“Renter’s insurance is so incredibly affordable,” she said.

According to a brochure from the Off-Campus Center, renter’s insurance usually covers fire, lightning, windstorms, hail, explosions, vehicles, theft and sudden or accidental damage from smoke. The average basic cost is $85 per year for $10,000 coverage, depending on the facility’s construction type.

Iowa Code also states that landlords should give tenants 24-hour advance notice before entering the rental property, except for the case of emergency.

“A landlord can come there any time for emergencies,” Curtis said. “And otherwise, they should give the tenant 24-hour notice ahead of time, and they should give reasonable bases for that inspection.”

Tenants also have obligations when they sign leases.

“I think they should understand first of all that it is a contract which creates a legal obligation,” Curtis said.

He said most evictions result from failure to pay rent.

Rosenthal said students who are planning on renting should get information before they sign a contract.

They shouldn’t hesitate to take advantage of services on campus such as the Off-Campus Center and Student Legal Services if they have any questions or are in difficult situations, she said.

The Off-Campus Center, located in the basement of the Memorial Union, provides educational programs and information on off-campus housing, such as listings of rental units, listings of possible roommates, lease and sublease information and rental unit inspection guides.

Every spring the Off-Campus Center also hosts a housing fair where students can get information on housing options in the Ames community and have a chance meet landlords, Rosenthal said.