Streakers put on show for Theatre 106 class

Heather Meadows

Streaking may seem to be a thing of the past, but a Theatre 106 class recently got an eye-full when two students sprinted through the classroom nude.

Sarah Hamstra, sophomore in community health education, said about 20 men she didn’t recognize as students in the class sat down in the Coover Hall auditorium during Theatre 106 class on Oct. 23. She said their presence seemed suspicious because they weren’t carry books.

At the start of class, Patrick Gouran, associate professor of music and instructor of the class, introduced a guest speaker who began a lecture on lighting design. But the speaker was interrupted when two male students dressed in only shoes and red ski masks came into the auditorium.

“They ran up to the top of the stairs and back down, giving plenty of time for everyone to see,” Gouran said. “Then they gave the speaker and I each an apple and said ‘How do you like them apples?'”

The Theatre 106 students said the whole class continued to laugh after the incident was over.

“Everybody was shocked at first, then they laughed. Even the professor and guest speaker laughed a little,” said Kim Wagner, junior in liberal studies and Theatre 106 student.

Hamstra said nobody really wanted to listen to the speaker after all the excitement.

Gouran said he didn’t report the streakers because he didn’t know who they were, and he just wanted to get on with class.

Hamstra said she recognized one of the streakers in her next class.

“I asked him if he was one of the streakers, and he wanted to know how I knew,” Hamstra said. “I think they did it for a bet.”

Even though the incident was not reported, penalties can be issued to people who are caught streaking at Iowa State.

“Streaking is a crime, but not a crime,” said Lt. Douglas Claybaugh of the Department of Public Safety.

Claybaugh said there are many conditions that must be present in order for the crime to be classified as indecent exposure.

He said it is more likely that, if discovered, the streakers would be penalized by the university than by DPS. However, the punishment is not usually carried out in monetary fines. Streakers may have to attend a hearing or do community service, Claybaugh said.