Glenn’s mission blows students away

Jennifer Reiter

John Glenn’s return to space has been hailed as a landmark for senior citizens, but many Iowa State students and faculty also see the mission as an inspirational event.

Millions of people around the world watched as Glenn, who in 1962 became the first American to orbit the moon, was launched into space on Oct. 29, as a member of Space Shuttle Discovery.

The mission has made “American legend” Glenn, at age 77, the oldest person in space.

One student said Glenn’s mission has proved that older people are still capable of great accomplishments.

“He shows that you can still have dreams even when you are older,” said Mick Zoske, freshman in agronomy. “It kind of gives you something to look forward to.”

Terri Casterton, sophomore in management information systems, did not get to watch the launch, but she thinks Glenn’s return to space is a positive event.

“He was the first one — I think it’s great they let him redo it because technology has increased so much,” she said, adding that during his first mission, Glenn was just in a “little cubicle.”

“Now he’s in a huge spaceship, and he has other people to share it with,” she said.

Tim Gray, assistant professor in aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics, agrees that Glenn’s mission makes a statement.

“It shows that even I am not too old to do things, and that old people can do what the young people do,” Gray said.

Besides being an inspiration to many people, Gray said Glenn’s mission also helps to increase enthusiasm toward the space program.

“I think public interest has been flagged in recent years, and John Glenn’s mission has put a positive spin in the space program to bring up public interest,” Gray said.

Dale Chimenti, professor in aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics, agreed that Glenn’s mission is great publicity for NASA.

“The Glenn mission has attracted much beneficial attention to NASA and to the capacity of older Americans to continue to make valuable contributions to society,” Chimenti said.

Not everyone has a positive impression of the mission.

Some people said Glenn’s involvement in the mission is not justified.

“It was a publicity gimmick that wasn’t necessary and wasted money,” said Bernie Gerstein, retired chemistry professor. He said Glenn was given the mission because he was a special person, and therefore, got special privileges.

Pam Thomas, director of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, feels that Glenn’s involvement in the mission was probably not necessary, but she also hopes the mission will be successful by bringing back important information on aging.

“I am concerned, however, that Glenn will only be bring back information on men’s health,” Thomas said.

“It would have been nice to have more women in space because women are found nowhere in the history books, and the information would have been helpful since women do live longer,” she said.