Greeks pass Veishea pledge; IRHA tables vote (part II)

April Goodwin

The Inter-Residence Hall Association tabled a bill to support an alcohol-free Veishea 1999 at its meeting Thursday.

After an extended open forum discussion, representatives postponed making the decision of whether to make the residence halls “dry” again during the spring celebration.

IRHA President Ben Chamberlain urged representatives to “take this Veishea thing very seriously.”

“We need to make sure we have a cross-section of students represented,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies. “I know that student leaders are well intended, but they don’t always speak for the students.”

Richardson Court Association President Matt Kraft said IRHA needs to accurately represent its constituents in making the decision.

“We need to make sure that it’s not an empty promise,” said Kraft, junior in political science. “We need to raise concerns now so that students, when April comes around, don’t say, ‘What pledge?'”

Larch Hall Representative Dave Sims said his residents want Veishea to be festive as well as safe.

“It’s not the idea of dry or wet — when I talk to students they just want to make sure that [Veishea’s] not going to ‘suck’ again,” said Sims junior in mechanical engineering.

Many students are concerned about this year’s Veishea and are almost willing to forgo the celebration if it continues to be “dry,” said Upper Friley Hall Representative Emily Allison, freshman in pre-engineering.

“Last year, everyone on campus left, and it was pretty much dead,” she said.

President of the Towers Residence Association Eric Anderson agreed.

“As it stands, I think we’re going to lose people again,” said Anderson, senior in computer engineering.

Representatives said students also were dissatisfied that out-of-town friends and family could not attend last year’s celebration.

“When visitors can’t go, it limits attendance,” said IRHA Director of Scholarships Andrea Johnson.

Sims encouraged representatives to respond to student complaints by asking, “What would make it better?”

He urged IRHA members to seek all residents’ opinions because “maybe the people making the fuss are just very vocal people.”

“I encourage you to truly vote how your people tell you to,” Kraft said.

Members also discussed how long Veishea would be expected to continue alcohol free.

“Right now, President [Martin] Jischke feels that Veishea is still in a highly transitional stage, and until he doesn’t feel that way, I think the pledge will continue,” said Veishea co-chairman Scott Desotel.

“[Veishea] should be better than last year – I guarantee you,” Desotel, senior in agricultural business, said.