IRHA gives students in residence halls a voice

Jennifer Lindstrom

When students have concerns about issues in the residence halls, such as regulations regarding the door policy or quiet hours, they can voice their opinions to the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

IRHA is the student organization that represents all students living in the residence halls. Students can give their suggestions and opinions to the administration through IRHA at its weekly assembly meetings.

“IRHA is a way for residents to voice their concerns with the residence halls. This is especially important now with all of the changes taking place due to the renovations the university is doing,” said Mike McCoy, IRHA at-large representative from the Richardson Court Association.

A prime example where students’ opinions have had a direct impact in residence hall policy is the door policy decision, which went into effect last year.

The current policy allows residents to decorate their doors, as long as the materials posted are not deemed offensive by the other residents.

Ben Chamberlain, IRHA president, said the door policy had been in the works for a while, and student opinion made a difference.

“Students working with IRHA were the ones, in cooperation with the Department of Residence, who made the door policy a reality,” Chamberlain said. “Students made an impact on how it was administered and rules on what can and can’t be posted.”

One person can actually make a difference when working with the IRHA, Chamberlain said. One student can make a motion, and after a motion is made, the council members debate the issue and make a decision, he said.

Chamberlain said the IRHA representatives try to make the meetings an environment where people are comfortable to bring their ideas.

Kim Hannum, vice president of IRHA, said after students bring their suggestions to the meetings, she meets with Randy Alexander, director of residence.

Hannum’s Internal Affairs Committee meets with Alexander on a bi-monthly basis to give reports from the IRHA assembly meetings.

“Another way students can voice their concerns is to talk to their hall reps, association at-larges, and the members of the IRHA Executive Council,” McCoy said.

The IRHA holds meetings every Thursday at 7 p.m. Students’ comments on current issues are always welcome, representatives said.

“There are no closed meetings,” Hannum said.

IRHA meetings for the rest of the semester are as follows:

• Oct. 15, the Knapp/Storms conference room.
  • Oct. 22, the Knapp/Storms conference room.
  • Oct. 29, the Maple-Willow-Larch large conference room.
  • Nov. 5, the Gold Room of the Memorial Union.
  • Nov. 12, the M-W-L large conference room.
  • Nov. 19, M-W-L large conference room.
  • Dec. 3, M-W-L large conference room.
  • Dec. 10, Terrace Room in Friley Hall.

IRHA’s office is located at 2415 Friley Hall. For more information, call 294-2040.