Another innocent life

Letter to the Editor

Once again, another innocent life has been taken from the world at large.

Who knows what the world has lost in the death of University of Wyoming political science student, Matthew Shepard?

Maybe the loss of a great, compassionate politician who would have enacted legislation to prevent just the type of senseless violence that took his young life.

Perhaps the loss of a major work of theater or poetry that would have captured a slice of what it means to be different.

Perhaps a literary masterpiece that traced the kinship of those joined by a common something. In this case, gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgendered people and communities.

Just because Matthew did not die in Iowa or was not kidnapped from an Ames area bar, doesn’t mean his death has any less significance here.

Because the common thread among all of us in our local LGBT community is that it could happen here.

Take the case of Ames “former” Lutheran minister Steven Sabin, forced from the pulpit of local Lord of Life Lutheran Church by national church officials because he is in a committed same-sex union. This action was handed down despite a resounding vote of confidence from his congregation.

Witness the trouble and controversy that surrounded Des Moines’ recent attempt to have sexual orientation added to public safety laws. A similar attempt in Cedar Falls is feeling the same type of heat and hatred. There, the effort continues. In Des Moines, it stopped.

There are LGBT students, staff and faculty (and their allies) at Iowa State University and throughout the state of Iowa who live in fear of isolation, fear of economic hardship, fear of physical harm every single day. We are on the front lines everyday by simply living our lives. By simply being, we are putting ourselves in the path of potential harm.

Matthew’s senseless death underscores this climate of fear which gay students and adults experience. The homophobic tone of recent public discourse must bear its share of responsibility for the barbaric act that claimed Matthew’s life and fuels misunderstanding and violence locally.

When powerful people – politicians, ministers, civic leaders, educators or editorialists – use their positions to spread ill-informed, hateful opinions, they create and perpetuate a climate in which others feel justified – even righteous – in using violence.

As people who care about the safety and well being of LGBT college students, staff and faculty, we urgently call on every community to take a stand against homophobic violence and intolerance. It’s too late to save Matthew Shepard, but we can and must take steps to create a safe environment for all our children and residents, both on- and off-campus.

Stacey Kagan

Coordinator

ISU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Student Services

W. Houston Dougharty

Associate Dean of Students

LGBTSS Advisory Board

Kevin Brown

ISU alumnus ’92

Andy Bock

Parks Library staff

LGBTSS Advisory Board

Steve Wisener

Hall director

LGBTSS Advisory Board

Judy Dolphin

Executive director

YWCA of Ames-ISU

Jeanne Burkhart

Psychologist

ISU Student Counseling Service

Terry Mason

Director

ISU Student Counseling Service

Penny Rosenthal

Director

ISU Adult Learner & Commuter Student Programs

Jeff Sorensen

LGBTA Alliance advisor

Jackie M. Blount

Associate professor

Bryan Burkhardt

President

Government of the Student Body

Clare Hinrichs

Assistant professor

Sociology

Dave Haden

Student Activities Specialist

LGBTSS Advisory Board

Brooks Morse

Staff psychologist

Student Counseling Service