Water fights banned in ISU dorms

Amy Runkel

Although water fights and squirt guns may seem like innocent fun to students, officials from the Department of Residence do not see them as a game.

Iowa State’s new Room and Board Contract outlines the policies regarding water fights.

“People aren’t supposed to be having water fights of any kind in the residence halls,” said Virginia Arthur, associate director of the Department of Residence.

Residents who partake in aquatic horseplay may be charged, along with their floormates.

“Houses responsible for water fights will be billed a minimum of $25,” said Joe Taylor, Union Drive Association board of review chairman and junior in biology. “That would include any water balloon or water gun.”

Some ISU students disagree with the regulations involving water fights and squirt guns.

“I think that it is a waste of time and money for the university to go after people with squirt guns,” said Jenn Juehring, sophomore in athletic training. “There are so many more worthwhile things that the university officials can be doing with their time.”

Arthur said the rules against water fights were established to prevent students from causing cosmetic damage to the residence halls.

“The idea is to discourage any type of activity that would cause water damage,” she said. “We used to have quite a few problems with people surfing down hallways.”

Arthur said water fights cause damages to the carpeting and flooring in the residence halls and require the services of custodians to clean up the damaged areas.

The rule forbidding water fights is located under the sporting activities section in the terms and conditions of the 1998-1999 Room and Board Contract, Taylor said.

“[The Room and Board Contract] is issued to every single resident in the residence halls,” he said.

Students cannot use ignorance of the rules as an excuse for having a water fight, Taylor said. Anyone caught breaking the water fight rules will face the administrative fees associated with the violation.

“[Students living in the residence halls] are encouraged to read the rules and regulations book,” he said. “They are expected to know the terms and conditions in the book.”