Central Iowa Symphony kicks off season Saturday

Kevin Hosbond

The Central Iowa Symphony will be kicking off its 1998 to 1999 season Saturday with an exciting musical extravaganza.

The symphony, which celebrates its 12th anniversary this year, will be playing music from many genres, including classical, romance and contemporary.

Paula Holcomb of Central College in Pella is the musical director and conductor of the symphony.

She is beginning her fifth season with the symphony and is the fourth director the symphony has seen.

The pieces performed by the symphony are personally selected by Holcomb, who takes input from symphony members and guest artists. When choosing the music, Holcomb has one thing in mind.

“I’m always striving to challenge the players and the audience,” she said.

The symphony’s first concert will certainly be a challenge. It will feature the Ames High School Strings performing Vaughan Williams’ “Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis,” and Central College instructor and violin soloist Julia Lawson performing Ravel’s “Tzigane.” The symphony will also touch on the Romance period with Schumann’s Symphony No. 4 in D Minor.

The symphony is scheduled to play a total of four concerts this season. They will include works by Wagner, Brahms and Holst, and will be performed mainly at evening concerts.

“We’re expanding with evening concerts this year to reach a younger audience. Not only college age people, but other community people as well,” Sylvia McCormack, president of the board of directors said.

McCormack has served on the board all 12 years of the symphony’s existence. She said the symphony was an outgrowth of the Octagon Orchestra.

“The community people wanted to have an opportunity to play in a non-threatening, non-demanding atmosphere so the Octagon Orchestra was formed,” McCormack said. “One person was doing everything, and those playing felt we needed a little more help”

That led to the formation of the Central Iowa Symphony on Sept. 30, 1987. Along with the new symphony came an array of new conductors, which allowed the symphony to grow in quality and depth.

“Some years we had more players than audience members,” McCormack, who is a violinist herself, recalled.

The symphony members come from all over Iowa, driving to rehearsals in Ames from as far away as Grinnell, Dubuque and Oskaloosa. All members come from different backgrounds as well.

“From middle school to retirees, there’s college professors, students, homemakers, school teachers and anyone who plays an instrument,” McCormack said.

The symphony also sees its share of guest artists.

“We bring in area musicians, ISU musicians and, once a year, we bring in outside players,” Holcomb said.

Guest artists slated to perform this season will be Jay Friedman, principal trombonist in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Nancy Pifer, a soprano from the Chicago Lyric Opera.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity for students to witness some of their professors playing,” McCormack said.

The symphony’s theme this year of “Expect to Soar” describes what the upcoming season holds. Holcomb said the symphony will reach into your musical imagination as you soar through your fantasies.

The first performance will is Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Ames City Auditorium. Students can get in for $2 at the door.

Individual tickets are $7 for adults and $6 for senior citizens. Season tickets are $25 for adults and $20 for senior citizens.

Other concert dates this season are set for Nov. 7, Feb. 14 and March 26.