ACSM helps graduate students map out futures

Carrie Sutton

A small, little-known organization at Iowa State is helping geometronics graduate students “map out” their lives after college.

“ACSM [The American Congress Survey/Maps organization] encourages professional surveying and mapping [and] establishes contact with government agencies,” said Kandiah Jeyapalan, professor of civil engineering and faculty adviser for ACSM.

Dwipen Bhagawati, graduate student in civil engineering and president of ACSM, said the organization “promotes activities in [the] field of civil engineering — survey and mapping.”

ISU’s chapter is part of the national ASCM organization.

Jeyapalan said there are about 10,000 ACSM chapters in the United States, and ISU’s chapter has existed for more than 20 years.

“This is a nationwide organization,” Bhagawati said. “We’re just a student chapter.”

Jeyapalan said there are five or six graduate student members. He said there are no undergraduate members because the accredited undergraduate geometronics major at ISU was “discontinued” 10 years ago.

Geometronics is the study of surveying, mapping, photogrammetry, geodesy, remote sensing and other related fields, Jeyapalan said.

Jeyapalan said photogrammetry is the process of using satellite photos to make maps, and geodesy is the process of determining the size and shape of the Earth.

He said anyone interested in surveying and mapping can join ACSM, but potential members usually are students or professionals in the geometronics field.

Bhagawati also said anyone who is taking survey or geometronics courses are encouraged to join ACSM.

He said being active in the organization helps students get involved in an array of activities at ISU and areas such as publishing.

Jeyapalan said after students join ACSM, they can receive scholarships and two journals every month — Surveying Land Information Systems and ACSM Bulletin.

Jeyapalan said two meetings are held each semester in the Town Engineering Building. He said the meetings mostly consist of seminars.

Bhagawati said the meetings also consist of discussions. He said the discussions are informal because the chapter’s low membership.

Jeyapalan said a few social events are held throughout the year.

“There is a potluck dinner before Christmas and picnics at the end of the year,” Jeyapalan said.

However, Bhagawati said “activities are limited” because of the organization’s number of members.

Jeyapalan said those interested in joining ACSM can call the national office in Washington, D.C., or look on its Web page for an application.

He said all potential members must be recommended by a current or past member of ACSM.