Professors awarded for art

Matt Tomkins

Four Iowa State assistant professors of art and design received awards for their artwork on display in the exhibition titled “Iowa Artists in Time and Spaces” at the Octagon Center for the Arts, 427 Douglas Ave.

Cindy Gould and Carol Prusa both received first-prize honors. Ingrid Lilligren placed second, and Jeanne Beaver was awarded third-place honors.

“Iowa Artists in Time and Spaces” features 42 artworks by 24 artists who are current or former residents of Iowa. The exhibit is meant to show the effect of living in Iowa on contemporary artists.

“It was nice to have recognition for the work,” Gould said.

Gould said her entry, “Tribute,” was an installation piece that greatly reflected her life in Iowa.

Gould said some of the art in the display shows an obvious Iowan influence, while other pieces show a much more subtle influence. The exhibition features works of art ranging from paintings to sculptures, Gould said.

The art exhibition was judged by Bernice Steinbaum, director of the Krauss Gallery in New York.

Gould said she admired Steinbaum and entered in part because of Steinbaum’s influence. She said Steinbaum is a strong voice in women’s issues.

Lilligren said she also decided to enter the show because of Steinbaum.

Beaver said she has entered her art in other exhibitions.

“I was very excited,” Beaver said. She said she is only a temporary professor at ISU, but she attended the university as an undergraduate.

Lilligren encouraged students to see the exhibition. She said it will be on display at the Octagon through Nov. 9.

“It’s a terrific show,” she said.