Greeks shake for a cause

Kim Perkins

This week, Iowa State students will have the opportunity to sign up to help children in need by “shaking their groove thing.”

Dance Marathon is sponsoring Dancer’s Week, which runs through Saturday. Dancer’s Week will include various activities on campus throughout the week.

The purpose of Dancer’s Week is to raise awareness about the 1999 Dance Marathon, which is in its second year.

Brian Tenclinger, Greek Affairs coordinator and Dance Marathon adviser, said this year’s marathon will be held on March 6,1999, in the Great Hall in the Memorial Union.

The theme for the Dance Marathon is “Kickin’ it for the Kids” because all proceeds will go to the Children’s Miracle Network children participating in the dance.

Tenclinger said students should not be intimidated about signing up for the Dance Marathon.

“You don’t have to have rhythm,” Tenclinger said. “If you can hug a child and support them … you’re in.”

Eric Paisley, co-director of the Dance Marathon, said the event is a great way for the ISU community to get involved in children’s lives.

Jami Hagemeier, executive director of Dance Marathon, said the Dance Marathon is a positive experience.

“The biggest benefit students get from Dance Marathon is the relationship they build with the kids,” she said.

Tenclinger agreed that the marathon is an important event.

“There’s no better way to put life into perspective than to watch these kids and know they might not make it,” Tenclinger said. “We provide hopes, dreams and excitement for these kids.”

Tenclinger said the committee members are planning other events throughout the year, so the dancers and families can get to know each other better before the actual event.

Some of this week’s activities include:

• Wednesday — Ring Toss at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on central campus.
  • Friday — Jail ‘n’ Bail from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on central campus and at Goreville, Lambda Chi Alpha’s annual haunted house. For $2 students can have anyone on campus arrested for one hour.

All money raised will go to the Children’s Miracle Network.

Anyone interested in being a dancer can sign up at the Dancer’s Week’s booths and activities on central campus throughout the week, or call the West Student Office Space at 294-1023.