Speed reading students see better grades

William Crawford

In an effort to improve their studying efficiency, some students have turned to speed reading.

People who speed read not only can read more material in a shorter amount of time, but even more importantly, they remember more of what they read, said Betty Weaver, director of the speed reading program at the American Reading Academy.

Iowa State does not offer its own speed reading program, but the university works with the American Reading Academy to offer a speed reading program once a week for three hours for 12-16 weeks.

Weaver said she feels students who stick with the program will be successful in increasing their reading abilities.

She said all the students who have taken the class have seen a considerable improvement in their grades as a result of their newly acquired ability to speed read.

“One graduate student who was on academic probation at ISU and took this program went on to Drake University and was an honor student there,” Weaver said.

She said the average person is capable of reading 3,900 words a minute, and the fastest reader to ever graduate from the program was able to read 87,000 words per minute.

“[Their reading speed increases] enough to even get to the point where a person can memorize a reading in the amount of time it would normally take to read that assignment and only become familiar with it,” Weaver said.

ISU students had mixed opinions about speed reading.

“I wouldn’t take a speed reading course, because I think I can read fast enough already,” said Kyle Davis, freshman in computer science.

Matt Schouten, junior in computer science, said he would consider taking a speed reading course.

“I heard that speed reading increases comprehension,” he said.

Kevin Velasquez, freshman in mathematics, was skeptical but willing to try the program.

“I suppose it couldn’t hurt,” Velasquez said. “I don’t think it would help me study better, I just want to be able to show off to my friends how fast I can read.”