Rec promotes physical therapy

Bengi Tozeren

October is Physical Therapy Awareness Month, and the Lied Recreation Athletic Center’s Sportsmedicine and Physical Therapy Office is promoting its services to the Iowa State community.

Mike Schiffer, one of two physical therapists in the Sportsmedicine and Physical Therapy Office, said the main purpose of Physical Therapy Awareness Month is to promote the profession.

“Our theme for this year is ‘Healthy Life Choices While You Are On The Move,’ for example: while you are washing your car, running, riding your bicycle and so on,” said Schiffer, whose expertise is in orthopedics.

He said the office serves students on a referral basis, and referrals can be supplied by the McFarland Clinic, the Student Health Center or a family doctor.

“We treat people with broken ankles, torn ligaments, etc.,” Schiffer said.

He said the office is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the therapists usually see 12 to 16 patients each day.

“We offer exercise for their muscles and [equipment] like ice, heat, ultrasound and whirlpool to help take away the pain [of injury],” said Jim Nasper, director of the Sportsmedicine and Physical Therapy Office.

Nasper said students are charged $58 on the first visit and $50 on following visits, while faculty and staff are treated for $72 on the first visit and $53 on following visits.

“Our service is available to ISU faculty, staff and all of the students,” he said. “All they have to do is to get a referral from either a family physician or Student Health Service.”

Schiffer said the office participated in several activities celebrating awareness this month.

“We had a car wash which was organized by the [Iowa State] Pre-Physical Therapy Club, [and] we gave a speech at the Lions Club,” Schiffer said.

Heidi Saikaly, adviser of the Pre-Physical Therapy Club, said the club provides information to students who are considering physical therapy as a career.

“PPTC’s main purpose is to promote the health care profession among undergrads and grads and the students with a bachelor’s degree who return to the profession after serving in other business opportunities,” Saikaly said.

Saikaly said students who want more information can attend a club meeting on Nov. 2 in the Regency Room of the Memorial Union at 6 p.m.