ISU athletes subject to new ‘no tolerance’ guidelines

Kate Kjergaard

Although some Iowa State students may have the impression that student athletes are getting “off the hook,” the automatic suspension policy may change this perception.

The policy, which was enacted last spring by the University Athletic Council, is a “no tolerance” policy for acts of violence, drug and felony charges, said Barb Licklider, faculty athletics representative.

“If a student athlete is arrested and/or issued a citation for violation of a local, state or federal law which involves a violent act [e.g. rape or assault], drug and/or felony charges, the student athlete shall be suspended from participation in intercollegiate athletics until the charges are resolved by the legal system,” the policy states.

Licklider stressed that although the policy may seem tough, it is for the protection of student athletes.

“By suspending the student athlete, the Department and the University are in no way prejudging the student athlete; rather, such action is taken to protect the student athlete and the intercollegiate athletics program,” the policy states.

Teams are currently being informed about what the policy entails, what possible consequences of the policy could be and why the policy was approved, Licklider said.

Martha Strain, a member of the gymnastics team and junior in sports psychology, said the rules of the new policy have been explained accurately to her team.

“[Licklider] described the new rules and gave straight facts and showed that there are no loopholes,” she said.

Licklider said the policy was approved to show what the university expects of the athletes.

“I think [it was approved] to reflect some of the values of the university values and of the Ames community,” she said. “We just didn’t have procedures in place to appeal a suspension nor to address what determines serious behavior.”

Licklider said a series of events occurs if and when a student athlete is arrested or issued a citation.

She added ISU’s policy is different from other universities because of its automatic nature of reprimands and repercussions.

Licklider said a student athlete would be automatically suspended from practices and competition if charged with a violation of the policy.

Other services, such as academic help and injury rehabilitation, would still be offered to the athlete, she said.

Students facing the automatic suspension have the chance to bring an advocate, such as a parent or coach, with them to the meeting, but the advocates are not allowed to speak on behalf of the athlete, she said.

An appeals committee has the power to leave the suspension in place, completely take it away or do anything in between, she said.

Licklider also added that all deliberations of the committee are final and confidential.

The committee is made up of a head coach, a faculty member from the faculty senate, a faculty member from the athletic council and two student athletes who are members of the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC).

Kendra Leese, a member of the tennis team and junior in marketing, said she could not really see the new policy applying to her team.

“I think the review board you go in front of seems like a good idea,” she said. “It gives you a chance to explain the situation.”

Licklider added there has been only one incident, which occurred last year, in which the policy had been used.

“I was very proud of the appeals committee for providing a fair hearing and making a decision that provided the best balance of accommodating what was best for [the student athlete, student program and the university],” she said.

Licklider pointed out that ISU has taken a leadership role in the Big 12 Conference with the new rule.

“Last year, schools at the Big 12 were impressed with this rule,” Licklider said. “By far the vast majority of our student athletes want to do the right thing and represent their schools well.”

Student athletes have varied views of the new policy and what effects it could pose on their respective teams.

Cody Sanderson, a member of the wrestling team and senior in psychology, said since student athletes are in the public eye, they have a responsibility to behave.

“You do have a responsibility to be a role model,” he said. “Sometimes student athletes might not think that’s fair, but that’s the way it is.”

Sanderson said the policy may affect male teams more than female teams.

“[The policy] would tend to affect males more than females,” he said. “It’s not like they’re picking on the male teams … [the males] know there’s no excuse to be violent.”

Kristina VanDoorn, member of the women’s soccer team and junior in sports management, said the media often portrays athletes in a negative way.

VanDoorn, who also is a member of SAAC, said “as a board, we want to get our names in the paper for the good things we do.”

“Community service doesn’t always get in the paper … sometimes the good things we do go unnoticed,” she said.

Strain pointed out that student athletes can be placed in very difficult situations with media. She said, “The media is generally not looking to advocate the athlete. I feel that comparatively Iowa State athletes are living up to the high standards set before them.”

VanDoorn said she was in strong support of the new policy.

“I feel pretty strongly about it. I probably don’t feel the way most students do about it,” she said. “Basically what it’s doing is making examples out of people. It shows athletes as well as others that there is a no-tolerance policy.”