Student contracts dermatitis after dip in lake

Jason Young

Lake LaVerne is arguably one of Iowa State’s most noted spots on campus. However, the lake may have been responsible for causing an ISU student’s recent case of dermatitis, an inflammation of the skin.

Dr. Mark Blaedel, interim director of the Student Health Center, said an ISU student contracted “contact dermatitis” after jumping in Lake LaVerne in celebration of the Cyclone football team’s victory over the University of Iowa on Sept. 12.

Blaedel said the student’s feet started itching within a half-hour of his dip in the university’s water landmark.

Over the course of the next day, Blaedel said the student developed hives around his belt area and elsewhere on his body. The hives persisted for about a week, he said.

“I think the [dermatitis] came from Lake LaVerne, but I’d be hesitant to issue a warning,” he said.

Blaedel said dermatitis is normally caused by the body’s allergic reaction to certain types of chemicals.

He ruled out ISU’s trumpeter swans, Sir Lancelot and Lady Elaine, as the cause for the rash.

“I’d be surprised if two swans could contaminate the whole lake,” he said.

Blaedel also said that he has not heard of any other cases of students contracting dermatitis from swimming in the lake.

“That’s the only case [of dermatitis from Lake LaVerne] I’ve heard of,” he said. “You can’t have a trend with one case.”

John Downing, professor of animal ecology and member of the Lake LaVerne Restoration Committee, finds it hard to believe a student contracted the rash from bacteria in the lake. He also said the lake is cleaner now than in past years.

“You can get dermatitis from a lot of things,” he said. “It’s unlikely anyone would contract dermatitis [from Lake LaVerne].”

Dennis Erickson, manager of Campus Services, is responsible for the upkeep of Lake LaVerne. He said he “doesn’t see any significant [health] dangers at all” from swimming in the lake, though he would not recommend it.

Downing said the lake is not deserving of its disparaging epithet “Lake Latrine.”

“Even though people call it ‘Lake Latrine,’ it’s a fairly clean piece of water,” he said.

Downing said the lake is cleaner this year because herbicide has not been used to kill algae for the past two years. Instead of using chemicals, the university uses two aerators to oxygenate the water. The devices circulate the water, which cuts down on algae formation, he said.

During the past couple of years, Lake LaVerne has been subjected to rugged treatment. The lake has been dyed green, has temporarily housed two goal posts and has held a runaway car and several celebrating students.

Downing said he does not understand why people would want to throw debris into the lake. Besides removing goal posts from the lake, he also has been responsible for removing bicycles, traffic cones and street signs, among other things.

“You name it, we find it in there,” he said.

Erickson said the lake is one of the nicer spots on campus.

“It’s disappointing when people use [the lake] for a dump,” he said.

Downing said he does not understand why anxious fans would want to “hurl their bodies into the lake in a fit of celebration” after a football victory.

“My No. 1 recommendation is to keep out of the lake,” he said.