Pep Rally ignites spirit

Bengi Tozeren

Iowa State students have a chance to show their spirit Friday night at the Homecoming Pep Rally.

“The [events] will start with the Step Off Parade at 6:15 p.m. in front of Alumni Hall [and will move to] central campus where the pep rally will take place at 7 p.m.,” said Tonia Hesse, Homecoming Committee co-chairwoman and senior in dairy science.

“The pep rally will be formed by the band, cheer squad, pom squad, entire football team, the winners of the Mardi Gras [parade] and Yell Like Hell participants,” Hesse said.

Heather Kliebenstein, Homecoming special events coordinator, invited all ISU students to watch the pep rally.

“We have been working on this project since last spring,” said Kliebenstein, junior in environmental science.

“We just want to get people fired up for Homecoming and the football game on Saturday,” she said.

Kliebenstein said after the Step Off Parade and the second round of Yell Like Hell skits, the pom squad, cheer squad and the marching band will perform.

“After that Coach McCarney will give a speech,” she said.

Hesse said the pep rally schedule is a little different this year.

“There will be no entertainment afterwards,” Hesse said.

“Last year, we had Yell Like Hell after the pep rally to draw more attention from people, but this year there are two rounds of Yell Like Hell and the second one will be after the pep rally,” she said.

Hesse said the Homecoming Committee is expecting a high level of involvement from ISU students, Ames area residents and the community members.

“Last year, we had to move the pep rally participants and the viewers into the State Gym, and it was full,” she said.

“The pep rally symbolizes the pride in the university, and it shows support for the Iowa State football team,” Hesse said. “It is a great chance to take a part in this ISU’s strong tradition.”

Kliebenstein said she feels the pep rally will be a lot of fun.

“It is a good way to show your Cyclone spirit,” she said.

Hesse said the message the pep rally gives is “Go Cyclones!” and “Beat the Tigers!”

“I encourage Iowa State students … to get involved with the pep rally and show their school spirit,” Hesse said.

“It is a great way of saying ‘Show your Cyclone spirit!’ and expressing your support in action,” she said.