Undergraduate and female enrollment rises (part 1)

Andy Tofilon

Enrollment at Iowa State has increased slightly since last year. ISU officials figure enrollment at 25,585, an increase of 201 students compared to the 1997 fall semester.

“We have experienced a slight increase for the last couple years since I have been here,” said Thomas Hill, vice president of Student Affairs. “We would like a modest increase every year, but we are dependent on many things, mainly on high school seniors entering college.”

The figures include 21,427 undergraduate students, which is 303 more than last year.

“Our undergraduate enrollment is in line with our goal for the 1998 academic year,” Hill said. “It is a positive step, and it shows how students are viewing Iowa State University.”

The Colleges of Design and Business had moderate increases in undergraduate students, while Veterinary Medicine, Liberal Arts and Sciences and Family and Consumer Science suffered mild decreases.

The College of Family and Consumer Science had the largest decrease with a loss of 39 students. The College of Agriculture experienced an increase of 95 undergrads, and the College of Engineering experienced the biggest jump with an increase of 132.

“We think people think that Iowa State is a very high-caliber university,” said John McCarroll, director of University Relations. “We have a large range of programs and academic opportunities to offer.”

There are currently 4,158 graduate students on campus, a decrease of 102 students from the previous year.

Only two colleges had an increase in grad students; the College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the interdisciplinary major for graduate students each experienced modest increases. The College of Engineering underwent the sharpest decrease with 75 less grad students.

“The decrease in the grad student population is due to a good job market, like the one we have now,” McCarroll said. “Instead of furthering their education, students are getting good jobs in the science and technology fields.”

Because of economic problems abroad, some international students have been unable to continue their studies at ISU. International student enrollment of 2,459 decreased from 2,564 one year ago.

“There are probably many factors to this. I would guess the Asian economic crisis has something to do with it,” Hill said.

Minority enrollment increased slightly, with 1,687 minority students now attending ISU.

“It is good and positive, and it shows we are holding our own,” Hill said. “It shows that the people in the enrollment office are doing a great job.”

Officials said the university has been actively working to increase enrollment.

“My office [University Relations] is responsible for promoting Iowa State,” McCarroll said. “We work to get out messages about the things on campus such as events, conferences and other things. Our audience is students on campus and those thinking about attending ISU.”

University officials said they foresee a steady increase in enrollment in the not-so-distant future.

“We are very pleased. It shows that people have faith and patience in Iowa State,” Hill said. “Students want to go here.”