PLC members chat with Jischke

Jaci Bennett

Some Iowa State students might never get a chance to talk to President Martin Jischke face to face, but members of the President’s Leadership Class get to voice their concerns to him on a regular basis.

The class, which is composed of 25 to 35 ISU freshmen each year, meets Sunday evenings during the school year at The Knoll. The class consists of a combination of discussions with Jischke and his wife, Patti, discussions with guests and group exercises.

“I think [the class] gives students the opportunity to look at other leaders and their leadership styles, and it gives them the opportunity to develop their skills in various small-group exercises,” said Charles Dobbs, executive assistant to the president.

Some of the class’ past guests were ISU coaches, community politicians, members of the state Board of Regents, Veishea co-chairs and Government of the Student Body presidents.

Dobbs said the class exposes members to different opportunities available around campus.

Kathy Craig, former President’s Leadership Class member, said she feels the experience taught her valuable lessons.

“Leadership is a skill that’s developed, not something you’re born with,” said Craig, sophomore in LAS. She was a member of last year’s group, and she said it helped her become accustomed to college life.

“It helped me make connections with people in the university,” she said.

Members of the class participated in small-group activities, such as case studies and scenarios, Craig said. She said the exercises focused on teamwork and taught the members to work effectively.

“It gave us the opportunity to be leaders and get involved,” Craig said.

Members of the President’s Leadership Class are scholarship recipients who are awarded $1,000 for the year. Incoming freshmen apply for the scholarship, which is based on standardized test scores, high school GPA, class rank, extracurricular activities, community involvement and an essay.

“There are hundreds of students a year who apply,” Dobbs said.