ISU Printing Services strives for visibility

Misty Means

Even though Iowa State has eight ISU Printing Services Copy Centers located on campus, some ISU students might not be aware of the locations and variety of services offered.

Bill Schmitt, purchasing agent for ISU Printing Services, said one of the biggest problems the printing services face is that many students are not aware that the copy centers exist.

“I always hear complaints from students who never knew that the copy centers were even on campus until their senior year at ISU,” Schmitt said.

Fay Martin, copy center coordinator for ISU Printing Services, said another problem is that the copy centers are not located in the most convenient areas of the buildings.

“Most of the copy centers are located in the basements of the buildings or in other hard to find areas because space is needed for classrooms and other academic needs,” Martin said.

Martin said ISU Printing Services tries its best to advertise and promote its services to the university.

“We set up booths at career fairs, freshman orientation and WelcomeFest,” she said. “We also run an ad in the ISU Directory and on the back cover of the directory.

“We post fliers and send information out to the dorms, residence halls and many ISU organizations,” Martin said. “We are here for the university and do our best trying to promote our services to those involved at Iowa State.”

Martin said this year the copy centers have actually had a better response from the students.

“At orientation we gave out free laminations for student fee cards, and at WelcomeFest we gave out pads of paper and coupons for 10 free copies at the copy centers, which some students have been using,” she said.

Schmitt said the copy centers used the most by students on campus are in the Memorial Union, the Hub and the College of Design. Other copy centers on campus are located in Curtiss Hall, Ross Hall, Lagomarcino Hall, Physics Hall and the Scheman Building.

The copy centers in the Memorial Union and the Hub accept cash, copy coupons and departmental charges, Schmitt said.

The centers in Curtiss, Ross, Lagomarcino and Physics Halls, the College of Design and the Scheman Building all accept copy coupons, departmental charges and the ISUCard.

Schmitt said the copy centers offer low but competitive rates for students. The centers also offer services such as three-hole punch drilling, booklet binding, transparency production and much more.

Scott Joens, senior in hotel and restaurant management, said he knew a few of the copy centers were on campus.

“I know there are copy centers in the Memorial Union and the Hub because I’ve seen them, but I didn’t know how to use them or what services they offer,” Joens said.