Buildings named for distinguished ISU men

Carrie Sutton

Editor’s Note: Campus findings is a weekly column about things on campus that trigger the curiosity of Iowa State students, faculty and staff. Carrie Sutton, junior in journalism and mass communication, will investigate the inquires each week and post her findings. Submit inquires to [email protected].

This week’s column continues to examine the stories behind the names of Iowa State’s residence halls.

Union Drive residence halls

The first unit of Friley Hall was completed in 1927 and was named Hughes Hall in 1936 in honor of Raymond Hughes, ISU’s eighth president.

After several additions to the building, it was renamed Friley-Hughes Hall in 1957. The Hughes name was dropped in the mid-1960s, according to “For Whom It Is Named.”

Charles E. Friley, for whom Friley Hall is named, came to ISU in 1932 as dean of The Division of Industrial Science, which is now the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. He served as ISU’s ninth president for 17 years — the longest tenure of an ISU president to that date, according to “Brief Biographical Sketches.”

During his presidency, the Alumni Achievement Fund, the Committee for Agricultural Development, the Iowa State Agricultural Foundation, the WOI television station, the Institute for Atomic Research and many other programs were established.

Friley also started the initial plan for housing for married students and the first major expansion of men’s residence halls in 1939.

Now located in Parks Library, Friley’s personal library of 1,500 volumes was originally given to the Men’s Residence Association Library in Helser Hall and was known as Friley Memorial Library.

Helser Hall opened in 1957 and was named after Maurice D. Helser, a member of ISU’s staff for 40 years.

Helser was a professor of animal husbandry, assistant to the president, dean of the junior college, director of Student Affairs and the first director of Personnel.

Helser organized the first meat lab at ISU, served on the Ames City Council for four years and preached in a small church in Jordan every Sunday for 25 years.

Helser was well-liked and received a Cadillac as a gift from students at Veishea, according to “Brief Biographical Sketches.”

Towers residence halls

Knapp Hall was completed in 1966 and was named after ISU’s second president, Seaman Asahel Knapp.

Knapp was a professor of agriculture in 1880 and manager of the college boarding department for one year in 1882. He also was a Methodist minister and a superintendent at the School of the Blind in Vinton before he came to ISU.

According to “Brief Biographical Sketches,” Knapp left ISU to improve southern agriculture in Louisiana and became the founder of the U.S. Extension Service and the 4-H Clubs.

Storms Hall, which opened in 1966, was named after Albert Boynton Storms, ISU’s sixth president.

Storms established the programs of agricultural engineering, forestry, bacteriology and technical journalism. ISU enjoyed “marked growth in enrollment, increased support and strengthened staff during [Storms’] administration,” according to “Brief Biographical Sketches.”

Wilson Hall was completed in 1969 and was named after James “Tama Jim” Wilson. Wilson was a professor of agriculture and was responsible for the Agricultural Experiment Station, which is now known as Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station.

Wilson was appointed U.S. secretary of agriculture in 1897 and served 16 years under three presidents, the longest term of any U.S. secretary of agriculture.

Henry A. Wallace also served as U.S. secretary of agriculture and is recognized by Wallace Hall, which was built in 1967.

Wallace received bachelor’s, master’s and honorary doctorate degrees from ISU. He served as the secretary of commerce and vice president during President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s third term.

Graduate housing

Buchanan Hall opened in 1964 and was dedicated in June 1966 to “one of ISU’s most distinguished academicians,” according to “Brief Biographical Sketches.”

Robert E. Buchanan received a bachelor’s and master’s degree from ISU and a doctorate degree from the University of Chicago.

He joined ISU’s staff in 1908 and served as head of bacteriology, dean of the College of Science and Humanities, dean of graduate college and director of the Agricultural Experimental Station until he retired in 1948.