Cell phones popular in Ames

Nick Mohr

As Iowa State students strive to “get connected,” they are beginning to find themselves tied to traditional methods of communication.

ISU graduate Tim Malone is trying to change all that with his new cellular communications business opening Sept. 18.

The Wireless Store, located at 2812 West St., was started by Malone, a 1984 graduate, in response to what he sees as a growing demand for portable communications.

“Cellular technology really gives students an inexpensive vehicle of immediate communications,” Malone said. “We’ve been planning this idea for over a year now. I didn’t realize how much work goes into opening a business, but when we open, we’ll be ready to serve customers.”

Malone said he and his employees are hoping to appeal to students and small businesses.

The Wireless Store employees will focus their efforts on a new type of cellular technology: digital cellular telephones. The digital phones combine functions of traditional cellular telephones with functions of pagers, fax machines and computers.

“We want people to realize that these products are well-worth their price,” Malone said. “For what you’re getting, we think that digital technology is a marvelous investment, and for many users, it will actually save them money in the long run.”

Digital telephones are not all that the new establishment will offer.

“We’re also getting into the pager market,” said Terry Burroh, operations manager for the new store. “Pagers are really a convenient way to get a hold of students around campus when communication needs aren’t as urgent.”

The store also plans to repair the communications technology it sells — an unusual practice in the telecommunications industry, Malone said.

“We plan to repair both our telephones and pagers,” said Brian Werner, vice president of The Wireless Store. “Most stores have to send their broken units out for repair, but we’re going to fix our products here, too.”

Malone said he still intends to stress the store’s service to his customers.

“We’ve put a lot of time into building what we think is a quality staff to work here,” Malone said. “When customers want phones, we sell phones. We’re in a unique position to really appeal to a variety of people, and I think that in the end, that’s what will make the Wireless Store fly.”

Malone said he wants students to realize “what cell phones can do for them.”

“I really hope that students can recognize what a benefit, in terms of security and convenience, these telephones can be,” he said. “And in terms of competitive prices and service, there’s no comparison.”