Cyclone comeback falls short

Justin South

Too little too late may best describe Iowa State’s 31-24 loss to Texas Tech on Saturday.

After taking the lead early in the second half, the Cyclones yielded 24 straight points to the Red Raiders, making the score 31-10.

The Cyclones made a late fourth quarter surge to narrow the score to 31-24, but in the end, time just ran out on the Cyclones.

“I told (offensive coordinator) Pete Hoener afterwards that maybe we should have started the game in our two minute offense,” head coach Dan McCarney said. “It seemed like the best tempo we had all day was when we were going no-huddle and quick huddle. But we all play under the same time limits, so we just have to make more plays within the four quarters.”

Set up by an acrobatic 12-yard reception by sophomore tight end Andy Stensrud on a crucial fourth and ten play, the Cyclones grabbed an early 3-0 lead on a 31-yard field goal from Jamie Kohl.

Two offside penalties and an illegal procedure penalty on the Cyclones helped Texas Tech answered back with a score of their own, a two-yard touchdown run from running back Ricky Williams.

Penalties would play a major factor in this game, as both teams committed a total of 16 penalties for 140 yards.

“Penalties killed us,” sophomore defensive back Dustin Avey said. “I’m not sure what the deal was, or why they occurred. It happens. We’ll deal with it on Monday and move on.”

Six of the Cyclones’ penalties were offside penalties. McCarney was irate about these mistakes.

“Those offside penalties were inexcusable. I have zero tolerance for six offside penalties,” McCarney said. “Those are the most foolish penalties you can find in the game of football.”

A defensive struggle ensued, as the second quarter featured no scoring by either side. The halftime score remained at 7-3 in favor of the Red Raiders.

In the second half, Iowa State struck first, as quarterback Todd Bandhauer connected with wide receiver Damien Groce on a 32-yard touchdown pass on their opening possession to put the Cyclones up, 10-3.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Cyclones regained possession after the kick deflected off of a Texas Tech defender and was recovered by the Cyclones.

Despite the play, the Cyclones were unable to score, and Texas Tech took over possession.

From there, the momentum began to swing in favor of Texas Tech. The Red Raiders ended the third quarter with two consecutive scoring drives.

With 7:09 left in the third quarter, senior quarterback Matt Tittle hit sophomore fullback Jonathan Hawkins for a three-yard touchdown for the Red Raiders.

After stopping the Cyclones on their next possession, Tech needed only one play, a 68-yard touchdown pass from Tittle to senior receiver Donnie Hart at 5:24, to end the third quarter score at 21-10 in favor of the Red Raiders.

Tech kicker Chris Birkholz started the scoring in the fourth quarter with a 19-yard field goal to bring the Red Raiders’ lead to 24-10.

On the next possession, Bandhauer was picked off by Tech defender Reagan Bownds, who ran 30 yards with the ball before being brought down.

The interception set up Williams’ second touchdown run, a one-yard scamper into the end zone, at 7:03 in the fourth quarter.

With the score now 31-10, it was do or die time for the Cyclones. A 51- yard kick return by sophomore J.J. Moses on the ensuing Texas Tech kickoff set up the Cyclones’ next score.

Bandhauer again hooked up with Groce for a 20-yard touchdown. The score was now 31-17 with 6:30 left in the game.

Tech regained possession and junior fullback Mike Wilborn fumbled the ball. Cyclones junior defensive end James Elmore recovered the fumble to give the ball back to the Cyclones.

A 25-yard pass reception by junior running back Darren Davis and a crucial facemask penalty on Texas Tech set up a third touchdown connection from Bandhauer to Groce, this one from five yards out.

Groce ended the game with 10 catches for 116 yards to go along with his three touchdowns. Groce said he took his success in stride.

“I was trying to help us get a win and do everything I possibly can,” Groce said. “I’m just going to keep on playing football and trying to help the team win.”

With 2:15 left in the game and the score 31-24, the Cyclones attempted an onside kick, hoping to recover the ball much like they did in the previous quarter.

However, the Cyclones were unable to recapture possession of the ball on the kickoff, and Texas Tech ran out the clock to escape from Ames with the victory.

Featured running backs Williams and Davis had relatively quiet games for their teams, with Davis racking up 95 yards on 27 carries and Williams 107 yards on 29 carries, along with two fumbles.

“They (Texas Tech defense) are solid. They played the run very, very well and we had to go to a different style of offense,” Davis said. “They were quick, fast and aggressive off the ball.”

Williams came into the game averaging 221.7 yards a game rushing, but despite the solid defensive effort on Williams, the Cyclones were still disappointed with the outcome.

“I think we stopped (Williams), but I’m not satisfied with that. I’d rather have a win under my belt,” sophomore defensive tackle James Reed said.

“There were a lot of snaps where there was contact with the running back at the line of scrimmage, a yard behind it or one yard beyond it, which means we’re doing a pretty good job of getting off blocks,” McCarney said. “Still, 31 points is 31 points. It’s hard to win giving up 31 points in a game.”

McCarney said he was pleased with his team’s effort against Texas Tech, but there’s still work to be done.

“They (Texas Tech) were more physical when they needed to be and made more plays when they needed to. I’m very proud of the kids’ effort, but it wasn’t good enough,” McCarney said. “We’ve got to move forward and learn from the mistakes we made, which there were too many of, because we have a lot of Big 12 games ahead of us.”