Learning Community provides international students opportunities

Tara Wood

The Cross-Cultural Learning Community (CCLC) at Iowa State is designed to provide international students with opportunities for social and academic growth.

“[The CCLC] is the only learning community that incorporates international students in the organization and purpose of it,” said Jane Edwards, adviser and program coordinator for the Office of International Students and Scholars.

The learning community consists of six American students and six international students who live on Devitt House in Linden Hall and attend classes together. The students were recruited by mail and through orientation.

Piera Vitali, an international peer assistant, lives on the floor to facilitate social activities.

“I’m there for their support in case they need anything from tutoring … to organizing certain activities,” said Vitali, senior in marketing. “I am their Iowa State resource; I’m like a little Iowa State dictionary.”

Vitali said the CLCC started as an effort to help international students get acquainted to campus and society.

“The major effort of the community is to help new international and American students coming to Iowa State meet people that want to make friends,” Vitali said.

Han-Huan Tan, freshman in electrical engineering from Taiwan, said he has made many friends through the CLCC.

“We can discuss about a class and work together,” Tan said. “I learn most from our friends from this floor; I learn how to communicate with others.”

Edwards said the goals of the CLCC are to increase understanding and appreciation of human differences, develop interpersonal skills, increase awareness of international opportunities at ISU, develop teamwork skills and make connections to the university and community.

American Emelie Jurgens, freshman in linguistics, said her involvement in the learning community has given her a better understanding of different cultures.

“I’ve learned don’t listen to stereotypes, get to know people before you have one opinion of an entire culture,” Jurgens said.

Edwards said the CLCC has increased retention among international students by making their experiences more positive.

“[The CLCC] is an opportunity for students to make a large institution a little bit smaller,” Edwards said.

Jurgens said the best part about being involved with the CLCC is being part of a group.

“We’re all from different places, and it’s really neat to hear them talking about their homes and where they’re from,” Jurgens said.

The program also helps students learn how to use laundry services, cash cards, food service and registration, Vitali said.

“Having been an exchange student [at an Iowa high school], I didn’t come [to ISU] with the culture shock, and I already had friends,” Vitali said. “If I hadn’t had those things, the CLCC would be a good opportunity to meet people, and deal with the culture shock and Iowa State in general.”

Vitali said the CLCC also is a good opportunity for American students to experience globalization.

“The CLCC is about realizing you are here at Iowa State with so many different people and your goal is to get through school, but at the same time, school can be exciting,” Vitali said. “You can get a globalization even in small Ames, Iowa.”