Entrepreneurial studies minor helps non-business majors get into business

Matt Tomkins

A new minor titled “entrepreneurial studies” is being offered to Iowa State students this fall.

This course will allow non-business majors to learn more about starting their own business, said David Hunger, professor of management.

“This entrepreneurial studies minor is one way to show Iowa State University is revitalizing itself to prepare students for the next century,” Hunger said.

Hunger said ISU is the only university in Iowa to offer such a program.

Gary Aitchison, associate professor of management, emphasized the importance of the new minor, saying that two-thirds of all new jobs are created by entrepreneurial businesses.

The minor will have two required courses totaling six credits: Management 310, Entrepreneurship and Innovation and Management 313 and Feasibility Analysis and Business Planning.

Economics 101 and Accounting 284 are the only prerequisites for Management 310.

The minor is open to all undergraduate non-business majors.

The nine remaining credits of the 15 required are electives.

Students can choose any three courses from a list that includes management, horticulture and veterinary medicine courses.

“When coupled with some appropriate elective courses, a student could tailor-make his or her own program,” Hunger said.

The program is directed by a supervisory committee with a faculty member from each college on the committee.

Hunger serves as the chairman of the supervisory committee.

The program was created in part due to requests from non-business majors, Hunger said.

“Engineering and horticulture students in particular wanted to learn more about starting and running a business venture,” he said.

Some students think the new minor may help them in their future careers.

“It sounds like a good idea if you want to venture out on your own,” said Jeremy Peterson, sophomore in management information systems.