Space lab gives students ‘hands-on’ experience

Aaron Klemm

Students can obtain hands-on experience in space-related operations at the Iowa State Space Systems Operations Laboratory.

The lab, which is located in the Town Engineering Building on the northwest edge of campus, has provided students an opportunity to build equipment for a shuttle mission.

“This lab is funded by the Iowa Space Grant Consortium,” said Mike Cook, SSOL project manager.

The ISGC is a NASA-funded project which includes ISU, the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa and Drake University. Cook said the ISGC has a $400,000 annual budget.

“Out of [NASA’s] budget they have to provide each state a certain amount of dollars for space education, and part of that is this lab,” Cook said.

He said the SSOL brings science and engineering together in a practical environment and offers experience that students cannot get in class.

“Our main purpose is to give students a hands-on perspective of engineering and science,” Cook said.

He said there are currently nine teams consisting of 40 students who are completing their engineering design requirements through the lab.

“[In most engineering departments, seniors] have to have some sort of design component as an elective,” Cook said.

One of those teams is renovating a 28-foot parabolic dish at the Fick Observatory near Boone. Cook said the dish has been out of use for more than two years. When the project is finished, it will be used for radio astronomy research at ISU.

Cook also is the director of the High Altitude Balloon Experiments in Technology. HABET is involved with remote sensing and other research best done from high altitudes. One problem HABET faces is judging the exact location of the balloon landings, he said.

To help solve this problem, a team of students is working on a steerable parafoil for gentler landings from altitudes of up to 100,000 feet.

“We’ll be able to fly more sensitive instrumentation that we can’t fly now because of the impact of the ground,” Cook said.

On Sept. 7, 1995, the space shuttle blasted off with a payload that included equipment built in the SSOL. According to the project’s flow chart, Iowa Joint Experiment in Microgravity Solidification was designed to improve casting methods in foundry practices.

One of the lab’s current projects, Orbital Radio Communications Asset, is developing a satellite for future deployment. Cook said ORCA is a joint project through which Rockwell International, ISU, U of I and other organizations will share the use of the satellite for their various interests.

“We have a projected launch of 1999,” he said, but added that the launch date depends on the availability of payload room on a rocket.

Cook encouraged students to get involved with the SSOL.

“The only requirement is enthusiasm,” he said.