Study abroad program helps prepare students with work experience, contacts

Cheryl Cox

A study abroad program for students interested in working overseas for college credit is being offered in Australia as well as Europe this year, said Trevor Nelson, education director and coordinator of Study Abroad Services.

“The program was originated because of the number of students interested in working abroad but concerned with going by themselves,” Nelson said.

“The intention is six months of paid career-related work,” he said.

Next semester there will be meetings on Wednesday nights to help students plan ahead as to where they will live and work.

“The whole point is to better prepare students for work experience and get them to start developing contacts during the spring semester,” Nelson said.

Patrick Smith, graduate student in education and assistant program director, said students will earn three credit hours for the program, which may be used to meet Iowa State International Perspectives course requirements.

“Additional credits may be earned for work experience such as internships,” Smith said.

Students will arrive in London or Sydney after finals this spring and spend two weeks there, Smith said.

These two weeks will include an orientation and a class on British culture, work environment and career development.

After two weeks, Nelson said, students are on their own to live and work in any part of Great Britain or Australia/New Zealand for up to six months, which is when the work permits expire.

Nelson estimates total cost of tuition, airfare, work permit, orientation, sight-seeing and three weeks of housing and breakfast will be $2,500 for England.

He said Australia will be more expensive due to higher airfare.

Students will be responsible for their own living expenses once on their own, Nelson said, but most can live comfortably on the income from their jobs.

Financial aid and scholarships also are available through ISU to assist with expenses.

“Last year we gave away $70,000 in study abroad scholarships,” Nelson said.

Smith said he attended the program last year in England along with 30 other students.

There will be 30 students going to England again this year, he said.

However, only 15 can go to Australia because it is harder to obtain work permits, Smith said.

“The experience has given me a different perspective. You get the big picture,” Smith said.

“I learned a lot about myself and the world around me,” he said.

Beverly Kruempel, director of Career Services and program coordinator, expressed the qualities of eligible students.

“What we’re looking for is maturity, a sense of independence and adventure — someone that takes responsibility and risks,” she said.

More information will be provided Friday at the Study Abroad Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The deadline for applications is Jan. 22, 1999.