People try to piece together FloJo’s death

Kate Kjergaard

She was a record-setting athlete. She promoted health and fitness. She was 38-years-old when she died.

The recent death of Florence Griffith-Joyner, holder of the world record of 10.49 seconds in the 100-meter race, has shocked people around the world.

Students, athletes, doctors — literally anyone interested in the legendary runner can’t seem to put all the pieces of the tragedy together.

All of the facts are not out yet concerning Griffith-Joyner’s death.

Although an autopsy has not yet been completed, some sources speculate Griffith-Joyner died of a sudden cardiac event. Some claim her death may have a link to drug use, yet officials say she never failed a drug test.

Dick Lee, head women’s track coach at Iowa State, said Griffith-Joyner never had a drug test come out positive.

“Anyone saying her death stemmed from drug use is basing that on speculation,” Lee said.

Lee said student athletes were somewhat surprised by the star’s death.

“Everyone realizes young people can die from unknown causes,” Lee said. “A heart problem can strike someone who may look completely healthy.”

Lee said he saw Griffith-Joyner run several times while coaching at ISU.

“I remember there being speculation [of drug use],” he said. “Anytime someone improves as quickly and dramatically as she did, there will always be rumors.”

Laura Bahnson, junior in graphic design and member of the ISU cross country team, said she was saddened when she heard of the death of Griffith-Joyner.

“I thought about all those practices — all the hours of training, all the competitions, the records, the medals, becoming an inspiration, a role model and now a legend forever,” she said.

Becky Rozeboom, a registered nurse with the Iowa Heart Center, encouraged student athletes to keep exercising without worry.

“Things like this are very sudden,” Rozeboom said. “They happen to the healthy and to the very sick with no apparent cause.

“This isn’t something that should keep [athletes] from doing their running and training.”

Malhar Gor‚, physician at the Student Health Center, echoed Rozeboom.

He said athletes are always screened to ensure that their history is free of heart problems.

Gor‚ added that most cases like Griffith-Joyner’s are spontaneous.

“We always ask about any historical markers that may have happened even 10 years ago,” he said.

He added that they ask about family history as well.