YES volunteers honored

Kelly Milner

Story County youth will be recognized for their volunteer service with Youth Efforts in Service (YES) on Oct. 3.

More than 500 volunteers, ages 11 to 18, are invited to the annual recognition for a free movie at Cinemark Theaters Movies 12, which includes refreshments and door prizes.

Linda Morische, director of YES, said the students were invited regardless of their number of hours volunteered.

YES, which began six years ago, matches an individual’s interests with 109 different agencies in Story County, said Phyllis Craig, volunteer coordinator for YES. These activities range from working at the Hospitality Shop at Mary Greeley Medical Center to doing yard work for an elderly person.

Craig said students develop leadership skills, meet new people and learn new skills through volunteering.

“I think it’s a marvelous part of anyone’s life,” Morische said. “We never know when we’ll be in the other person’s shoes.”

Morische, who has done volunteer work most of her life, said she feels she has always gained more than she has given from volunteering.

Craig said volunteering at her church and coordinating projects led her to a job in Des Moines with the Department of Human Services.

“Nowadays, we really do need to give back to our community,” Craig said. “Even if it’s just washing windows, you’re still donating your time.”

Students in the YES program are awarded prizes that vary according to the number of hours volunteered. Craig said after 20 hours students receive a letter from the mayor and a T-shirt. Prizes are awarded up to 1,000 hours, at which point the student receives an ornament, this year featuring Iowa State mascot Cy.

Craig said each year she works with more than 1,800 ISU students in the program.

Morische and Craig also work with adults, ages 18 to 59, and there is a retired service volunteer program for people over 60.