Card protectors advertise alcohol-poisoning tips

Misty Means

More Iowa State card protector envelopes will be distributed this week at busy bus stops and the commuter lot on campus by the Substance Abuse Peer Educators.

Previously, the card protector envelopes were distributed during the summer and fall orientation.

The protectors provide information about symptoms of alcohol poisoning and how to help someone with the symptoms. Several phone numbers, including the numbers for the Department of Public Safety, Student Counseling Services and Mary Greeley Medical Center, are printed on the envelopes.

Dave Haden, Student Activities specialist, said the cards are a valuable resource.

“I hope students use the protectors to store an ID card or a bank card, so that when they are out they have the information on hand to use if they see someone who looks like they might be in need of help,” Haden said.

Haden said about 18,000 protectors were handed out at the 1998 summer and fall orientations and also in the greek houses and residence halls.

Haden said the envelopes were an improvement from the plastic cards used last year, which provided the same information but took up space like a credit card.

“The protector is lightweight and serves a purpose, to hold and protect bank cards or other cards students carry,” Haden said.

Haden said last year a journalism intern came up with the idea to use an envelope instead of the plastic card, and she also designed the outside of the protector.

“Jen Gracey was the one who actually came up with the idea and the design for the card protector,” Haden said.

He said last year, another student gave him added motivation to develop the card protectors.

“The student told me he wished information about alcohol poisoning was available to all students because he had to use his notebook from a class … to help out a friend who was in a life-threatening situation,” Haden said.

Kim Smith, freshman in mathematics, said she uses her card protector.

“I was given a card protector with my ISU card and that’s what I am using it for now,” Smith said. “I know that if I’m at a party and see someone in bad shape, I might be able to do something to help them.”

The card protector project went over well, Haden said, and he plans to distribute them again next year.

The project was sponsored by University Bookstore, Government of the Student Body, Inter-Residence Hall Association, Student Union Board, Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, ISU Orientation Office and the FIPSE Grant.