GSB student fees funding rules ‘fuzzy’

Nathan Treloar

It would be difficult to have as many campus organizations as Iowa State does without student support.

Each semester, the Government of the Student Body allocates money from students’ tuition to campus organizations.

The current per semester tuition at ISU is $1,333. Of that, $129.02 is set aside for “designated tuition,” or student fees, $25.18 of which is given to GSB. ISU’s approximately 25,000 students make the total amount almost $630,000.

This money is used to help fund more than 100 different clubs and organizations, ranging from the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Ally Alliance to Cyclone Stampede Rodeo.

The issue of tuition money being used for student activities funding has recently come under scrutiny, according to an editorial published in the Aug. 18 edition of The Ames Daily Tribune.

The editorial discussed a ruling by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago declaring it unconstitutional for Wisconsin universities to use student fees to support certain campus organizations. The organizations in question were said to be involved in political and ideological activities.

Bryan Burkhardt, president of GSB, admitted that the lines are fuzzy, at best.

“The biggest things are making sure that the money doesn’t go for political organizations, food [or] entertainment — which is always a little questionable,” Burkhardt said. He pointed out that the International Student Council is the only organization that can receive funding for food, “as a cultural perspective.”

“Some [organizations] that may be defined as political are a little bit questionable — Student Environmental Council and things like that,” Burkhardt said. “The only things we will fund are the non-political activities for them.”

Burkhardt said receiving funding is not an easy process. Student groups must submit a detailed budget and follow a set of criteria.

After a series of committees pick through and approve the applications, they go to the GSB senate for confirmation.

Organizations also are required to raise additional funds. They do this by setting dues, selling T-shirts and collecting donations.

The question of the separation between church and state also is something GSB must consider.

“GSB has always made sure, at least within this last year, that [the money] is going for education purposes and not for the propagation or the persuasion of trying to get people to believe in a certain faith but mainly to educate the mind,” Burkhardt said.

ISU students have differing ideas about student fees.

“I think [the use of tuition money] is good,” said Liz Wilkens, junior in exercise sport science. “If you’re not involved, it’s not a bad thing that it’s going to them, you’re just not benefiting from them.”

Aaron Roberson, senior in landscape architecture, agreed.

“I think it helps out the clubs and organizations a lot to get them through the year,” he said.

Some students said they felt that they are in the dark about the issue.

“I wish the university better informed students of these things,” said Lindsey Roenfeld, sophomore in pre-veterinary medicine.

Burkhardt said he was fairly sure that a list of groups and the amount each receives would be published some time soon.

While the use of student fees to support campus organizations probably will continue, changes are in the works.

A check-off system that enables students to actually choose where their money goes is being looked into, he said.

“At some point during your college career you might want to try something new, too. We’re trying to make Iowa State better, and hopefully we can be the best,” Burkhardt said.