‘Everything under the rainbow’ to be offered at ClubFest

Catherine Conover

ClubFest, an annual showcase of Iowa State student clubs and organizations, will take place today from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Laura Bessler, assistant director of Student Activities, said there will be more organizations at ClubFest this year than last — 167 in all.

Bessler said the organizations represented are very diverse.

“[Students will be able to find] everything under the rainbow, and that’s the honest-to-goodness truth,” she said.

Some of the clubs that will have booths at ClubFest are ISU American Civil Liberties Union, the Food Science Human Nutrition Club, the Iowa State Ultimate Club, the ISU Flying Cyclones, Japanese Circle, Mock Trial and the Scottish Country Dancers.

The number of clubs participating in ClubFest is only limited by space, Bessler said.

“We’re overbooked right now, but we found space for them,” she said. “We invite all [campus] organizations to participate.”

Bessler said students attending ClubFest can find out when clubs meet and what they entail.

“Recruiting is the main thing [the clubs are trying to accomplish],” Bessler said.

She said student organizations, especially newly organized clubs, try to get their name recognized by participating in ClubFest.

And the strategy seems to work.

“In the past when we’ve done surveys, the majority of people who sign up [to join an organization at ClubFest] … do follow through and go to the meetings,” Bessler said.

The clubs also receive help with recruitment from instructors and academic advisers who encourage orientation classes, Freshman Honors Program members and Christina Hixson scholars to attend the event.

Heidi Saikaly, academic adviser in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said she will definitely be encouraging her students to attend ClubFest.

“I [teach] three orientation sections, and I am going to be mentioning it to my students this week,” Saikaly said.

Saikaly said she believes it is important for students to get involved during their college years.

“The students I’m working with are usually preparing to go on to be health-care professionals, and it’s very important that they have a well-rounded plate,” she said.

Bessler said some of the clubs will have brochures or other information for students to pick up, and there will be a few giveaways.

“KCCQ is supposed to be there, and KURE also will be broadcasting,” she said.

Bessler said there are more than 560 organizations on campus.

“For almost a third of them to be represented at ClubFest is a big deal,” she said. “Make sure you go.”

About 4,300 students attended ClubFest last year, and even more are expected this year, Bessler said.