Students get a break

Mike Meier

After a full two weeks of classes, Iowa State students and faculty will be taking a well-deserved break over Labor Day weekend.

“I’m just going home for the weekend,” said Troy Vollbeer, senior in agricultural business.

While some students are heading home, others are staying in Ames.

“I’m working … at the new Hy-Vee,” said Andrea Rochford, sophomore in psychology.

Another option is visiting family and friends.

“I’m here from Charlottesville, Va.,” said Barbara Nordin, former Ames resident. Nordin said she will be celebrating her 47th birthday on Sunday and has been planning a return to Ames for a long time.

“I’m having a fabulous time,” Nordin said. “I’m staying in the [Memorial] Union … I used to eat here when it looked a lot different than this.”

Those looking for entertainment options around Ames have several options.

Ames Park and Recreation attendant Rick Ertz said people can check out the Ames Municipal Pool, at 20th Street and Ridgewood Avenue, which is open from 1 to 5 p.m. all weekend and only costs $2.25.

Ertz recommended some of the larger waterways in central Iowa, such as Saylorville Lake, located about 15 miles north of Des Moines, Big Creek, located near Polk City, or Clearwater Beach, located just south of Des Moines.

Ertz also suggested a trip to Homewood Golf Course, 20th and Duff streets, which will be open all weekend with special student rates at $7.25 for nine holes.

If money is an issue, the disc golf course, on Gateway Hills Park Drive, will be open all weekend, free of charge, as always.

Another thing available for students and faculty this weekend is a camping excursion to Ledges State Park, near Boone.

“Generally, we do have students come up over Labor Day weekend,” said Marc Peter, natural resource technician at Ledges State Park. “We have a playground, 15 miles of hiking paths and water pools where kids and adults alike can wade around.”

The fee to stay in the park is $9 per night for a non-electric site with one tent and $12 per night for an electric site with one tent.